City of Peterborough VII 0 – 4 Newmarket I

Newmarket travelled to Peterborough hoping for an improved performance from the previous week. Newmarket were forced to re shuffle the pack after some last minute withdrawals and were grateful for Greg Cummins and Michael Bennett for stepping in at the last minute.

The game started at a furious pace, Peterborough dominated possession and exerted considerable pressure on the defence but Pete Boyle, Greg Cummins, Jordan Newnes & Ben Coupe remained resolute at the back.

Newmarket began to establish a foothold in the game, a great through ball down the right hand side put Mark Pears through on goal, Pears shot as the goalkeeper came out with the ball ricocheting from the keepers pads into the forwards face. He immediately left the field for hospital treatment, but will hopefully be available next week. From the resulting penalty corner Wilson just missed the bottom right corner.

Following the injury Newmarket re shuffled from 4-4-2 to 4-5-1, with Lee Blades playing up top by himself. This gave Newmarket increased stability and they dominated the rest of the half, but the inability of the midfield to get up and support Lee Blades meant that Newmarket were unable to take advantage of the possession.

Newmarket were determined to get more midfielders forward to support the loan centre forward in the second half with Ollie Wade, Josh Dawson, Chris Leggett and William Wilson making many runs. It wasn’t long before the goals started to follow.

Lee Blades swept in the first after some hard work from Ollie Wade, the second followed shortly after a great effort from Josh Dawson. Newmarket were now rampant, the third goal was the best of the game, the ball was worked back from midfield to the defence who played the ball round the back, and up the line to Lee Blades who slipped the ball to Wilson, he beat a man and fed Josh Dawson at the far post for a tap in.

The last goal was scored with a few minutes left, Lee Blades put in the rebound after the keeper made a good double save. The final whistle went and Newmarket were delighted to have won a hard physical game, the team have now played 12 games this season, winning eleven and drawing one.  Lee Blades was man of the match for a great hat trick, but he was pushed close by Greg Cummins who used all his experience at to break up many opposing attacks at centre back.

Newmarket host Cambridge South next week at 3:30pm at the leisure centre, spectators welcome. The club are looking at running two men’s teams next year. If you are interested please make contact through the clubs website,