Newmarket I 12 – 0 St Ives III

Newmarket went into the sixth game of the 4NW season looking
to score enough goals to take them back to the top of the league, with central
midfielder Chris Leggett still on holiday warming his bones in sunnier climes
and Andreou enjoying prawn sandwiches at Stamford Bridge the team was forced
into a reshuffle. Ben Gotfredsen and the evergreen Greg Cummins formed a new
look central midfield partnership.

With Mike Skelton arriving late due to work commitments the
injured Will Wilson was forced start, the first ten minutes were quite scrappy
as Newmarket looked to find their rhythm and St Ives put together a couple of
dangerous attacks, forcing the games first penalty corner which was saved by
Chris Routs in goal.

Newmarket eventually forced a penalty corner of their own,
with Andreou away and Wilson unable to hit the ball Harrington strode forward
from centre back and duly dispatched a firm shot through the keeper’s pads into
the back of the net. This seemed to knock St Ives and Newmarket had another penalty
corner a few minutes later, Harrington stepped up again and doubled the

Skelton then turned up, Wilson rolled off and after a re-shuffle
that moved Holden to centre midfield and Cummins to left back the team started
to move the ball very well. From a third penalty corner Harrington made it
three nil. This will give the management a dilemma for future games, we have
struggled with our penalty corner routines and for Harrington to step up,
without practice and dispatch 3 on the bounce, he surely must have stacked a
claim to be striking more regularly in the future.

Mike Skelton scored the fourth making sure Mark Pears shot
went in on the far post. Mark Pears scored the fifth from a stroke after he
beat the keeper and his shot struck a defenders foot on the line. The half time
whistle went with Newmarket fives goals to the good.

The second half continued in the same vein, full backs Greg
Cummins and Dave Worrall were outstanding and Jordan Newnes moved forward from
centre back to provide a pivot moving the ball well to change the point of
attack. With wingers Ollie Wade and Josh Dawson moving well off the ball
Newmarket looked like they could score from every attack. The sixth goal came
from another Penalty corner, Harrington rolling the ball at the far post for
Josh Dawson to deflect in. The seventh came after a mesmerising run by Matt
Holden who set up Josh Dawson with a tap in. The eighth came after Dave Worrall
drove the base line, passed to Mark Pears who set up Mike Skelton for an easy
finish. Goal nine came after a great run by Ollie Wade, Mike Skelton distracted
the defence with great movement off the ball, Wade found Pears unmarked at the
top of the D and he finished ruthlessly into the far corner. The tenth was from
another penalty corner, Greg Cummins shot was tapped in by Mark Pears for his
hat trick.

At this point both teams were reduced to 10 players after a
fracas at the top of the Newmarket D, Harrington taking an early bath.  Mark Pears hadn’t finished there and scored
the eleventh after great work from Holden and Skelton and the twelfth after
Dawson drove the baseline and pulled it back. While Pears scored the goals
today, a lot was down to the great movement of Skelton and Holden creating him
the space.

Man of the match was the supposedly rusty Greg Cummins,
making his first start of the season, the club would love to have him playing
every week! After the game the team were delighted to find out that next week’s
opposition, Alford had lost, meaning Newmarket are now top of the league.