Ladies 3’s – Fighting Start To New Year

Newmarket Ladies’ 3s vs Wisbech Ladies’ 3s

In Newmarket Hockey Club’s first game of 2013, the ladies took a bit of time to settle after the Christmas break; the visitors kept play in Newmarket’s half and opened the scoring attempts with a shot that went just wide. Wisbech’s second attempt was saved by ‘keeper Jade Atkinson and mum Helen was on hand to clear the ball. It was third time lucky and despite best efforts by the home defence, the short corner clearance came a second too late as the ball had just sneaked over the line.

Newmarket responded as Sue Bullimore’s top D free hit scythed through to forward Vicky Sievewright who received the ball on the move and drove to the left corner, it was a promising move that got the crowd excited but Wisbech’s ‘keeper spoiled their fun with a solid save.

Neither side seemed able to keep possession for long and the pace picked up, the home side making breaks through the Wisbech line. Initiative and quick play in midfield by Holly Woods and Grace Evans generated the space Newmarket needed to play their best but these breaks lacked the support needed to finish with a goal. Wisbech didn’t have that problem moved into the D outnumbering the defence, allowing the spare player to scoop the ball around the back of the goalie’s foot.

Newmarket responded with a strong attack, moving from Rachel Hogg on the right to Philippa Wade on the left, Woods and Mel Podd then joined forces to get a shot on goal but it just scraped wide.

Wood’s quick thinking at the 2nd half pushback gave space to Wade who evaded one tackle but was met by the oncoming ‘keeper. Wisbech’s third was a strong strike to the back board from a short corner. Wade and Sievewright were then both denied their names on the score sheet by some solid defending as the game continued to range end to end. Catching the home defence on the hop, a Wisbech forward foiled Atkinson senior, now ‘keeping, with an accurate shot to the far corner.

Winning three short corners in quick succession, Newmarket tried different routines but were not quick enough to beat the defence. Just at the final whistle, Wisbech won a short corner and Atkinson did well to stop the shot. Unfortunately, a final touch on a stick ricocheted the ball up to strike the underside of the cross bar and end the game 5-0.

This Cup game was a promising display; work needs to be done on maintaining possession under pressure but Newmarket showed skills and great play in space and should be pleased with their performance.