Youngsters Ensuring The Future Is Bright For Town

Newmarket Ladies 1’s v Huntingdon ladies 1s – 3-0 win to Newmarket
With just a handful of games left to play the ladies’ 1st needed to take 3 points from league bottom team Huntingdon, but this proved a tougher task than expected.
With league toppers Rutland beating the same side 10-1 Newmarket were hoping to emulate a similar score however as in a previous meeting they proved tricky opposition to overcome for Town and the first half was a very even game. Despite good build up play Newmarket found they lacked in providing the final pass to connect with goal. Finally Newmarket opened the scoring – Di Thomas getting her twelfth goal of the season; she snatched a cheeky deflection of Beth Wombwell’s shot ahead of the keeper’s foot leaving the ball to trickle inside the post.
Huntingdon were still looking like they could turn the game around with an unexpected break so Newmarket needed to be on top form to quash their rivals. Town looking cooler after the break; they switched the play more and used the left side to better effect. They were meeting passes earlier and reading tackles as well as releasing the ball quicker. Short corner drills were also coming together with shots being executed from Claire McDonnell, Hayley Stoneman and Lydia Evans.
With ten minutes remaining Newmarket were in control but needed goals to seal the victory…up stepped player of the match Beth Wombwell. With superior movement and pace up front she received a pass from April Atkinson and swept the ball into goal. Just five minutes later she repeated the movement via a pass from Angel Fayers and got her brace-confirming 3 points for her team and keeping the league title dream alive.
The ladies 2s played Rutland at home on Saturday. After losing 3-1 to Rutland earlier in the season, Newmarket knew they had to step up their game if they wanted to get the win and with a 16 strong squad they knew they were capable of taking up the challenge. The first half wasn’t underway long when in the tenth minute Tracy Cockerill for Newmarket scored the first goal from a pass from captain Zoe Bailey which she flicked over the top of the Rutland goalkeeper. The formation Newmarket were playing was slightly different to normal and with Sam Brooke playing as a sweeper a longside Anna Parker and Sarah Ganiford in defence it wasn’t until nearly the end of the first half that Rutland found their way through the defence with a goal to equalize. Jade Atkinson showed her versatile skills throughout the game and enjoyed the chance to play out on pitch as she often plays a goalkeeping position. The second half was action packed from the onset and when Rutland were awarded a penalty flick a few minutes in, Newmarket goalkeeper Sue Bullimore kept her cool to ensure a great save which secured her the man of the match award. Harriet Briggs, Kerry O Hara and Maddie Rule both had good individual games again and Newmarket were showing some good strong play in the second half with some strong passes between the midfield and wingers. A run down the right wing by Verity MacMahon who crossed the ball over the line secured Newmarkets second goal putting them ahead again. The final result was 2-1 to an ecstatic Newmarket Ladies 2s.
Ladies 3’s:
After a poor start while Newmarket worked out their formation and 2 goals slipped past the defence and goal keeper, Newmarket start to look strong and spent much time near the oppositions goal but were kept at bay by the st neots team. They restarted the second half confident they could regain the two goals lost but one St Neots player in particular caused Newmarket many problems and the game finished 8-0 to St Neots despite some elegant runs from Newmarket player Phillippa Wade who was awarded player of the match.
Mens’ 1’s: Cambridge South Men’s 2nd XI  0 – 2  Newmarket Men’s 1st XI

 Newmarket made the short trip to Cambridge for this early 10am start, too many peoples surprise captain Wilson made the meet on time 8:30, even though he doesn’t often get up at that time for work!

 Newmarket were a few men light. Dave Worrall had to work (planning the next global financial crisis in between topping the pen holders). Matt Holden is still injured with his policeman’s heal. Josh Dawson was too injured to play, but did walk away with the best dressed supporter award, this should be qualified as Pete Boyle was the only other male supporter. If only I was female and 20 year younger! Fortunately James Wrinch stepped up from second team duty last week and acquitted himself so well at right back he deservedly won the man of the match award! Anyway back to the game.

 This was always going to be a tricky game, South’s second team played well when the teams met in Newmarket before Christmas with the scores close until the last 20 minutes when Newmarket pulled away. They have a strong defensive record and are only down the bottom through their inability to score enough goals.

 As expected Newmarket dominated possession, Mike Skelton was always available up front the midfield of Wade, Andreou, Leggett and Bell worked hard. Defenders Wrinch, Harrington, Newnes and Wilson played the ball round the back well and prevented South from any real clear cut scoring opportunities.

 In the first half Newmarket won a raft of penalty corners, they were unable to capitalise on the first handful, through a combination of cat like reflection from the South keeper and routines just not flowing as they should.

 Newmarket began to get frustrated and Andreou was asked to spend a little time with his own thoughts after questioning one too many unfavourable umpiring decisions, his time off was quite rightly extended when he berated the umpire from the sidelines. This seemed to galvanise Newmarket, who with 10 men took the lead. Skelton was sent free of the South defence and slotted home from the top of the D.

 South wobbled a bit, especially when their centre back passed to Mark Pears at the top of the D from a 16 yard hit. Unfortunately for Newmarket Pears caught the ball well but pulled it just wide. Newmarket then scored a second from a penalty corner, Simon Harrington poor drag flick wrong footed the otherwise excellent keeper and bobbled in at the near post.

 Before the end of the half South forced a little flurry of penalty corners, these were either blocked by Chris Routs in goal or postman Simon Harrington.

 Newmarket were 2 nil up at half time which is how it stayed, it was scrappy second half when Newmarket hurried possession, wasted penalty corners and were almost caught on the break.

 Next week Newmarket will need to be much sharper against South’s first team, but if you look at the results this season they have always performed better against the stronger teams, something that should stand them in good stead for next week encounter. The target is simple a draw, with Newmarket superior goal difference will almost guarantee promotion, but a victory is needed to keep the pressure on leaders Wisbech. We’re heading into the business end of the season and its getting interesting!

Next weeks game starts at 15:30 at Newmarket Leisure Centre, a big crowd to roar the boys on would be greatly appreciated!

Mens’ 2’s v Ely:
After last week’s long distance journey to league leaders Louth, a home game against local rivals Ely was much anticipated. With a strong team available skipper Pete Boyle was confident that three points where up for grabs.
Newmarket set their stall out from the start with strong commitment to the attack. Ely where under the cosh immediately and without some brilliant goalkeeping Newmarket would have gained an unassailable lead within the first quarter of the game.
However, it took some skilful running from James Atkinson down the wing to set up Jordan Walker for the first goal, 1-0 to Newmarket.
The game continued in the same manner and an extended time in the opposition half led to a penalty corner chance. Up steps Matt Holden to drill into the corner for a second goal. 2-0 Newmarket.
It wasn’t to go all Newmarket’s way however, as Ely broke sharply and managed a shock goal completely against the run of play. 2-1 Newmarket.
Newmarket didn’t lose their heads though, and in short order where back on the attack. A ball was played into the opposition “D” after some stunning stick work again by James Atkinson, and up steps Darren “the Dazzler” Jenkins to slot home the ball like a seasoned center forward. Pretty good for a center back.3-1 Newmarket.
Again Ely fought back, but as usual the defence of Adrian Atkinson, Mark Prentice, Darren Jenkins and Pete Boyle stood firm, as has been the case for most of the season.
The second half was an almost direct copy of the first with the midfield being dominated by Ben Gottfredson and Dave Worrall. This domination allowed a free reign for forwards Will Hosegood and Matt Holden who made Ely’s defence work hard for little reward. Inevitably another goal was scored, again by Matt Holden, who was having his usual outstanding game. 4-1 Newmarket.
This was final score line, but it didn’t truly reflect the dominance of a rampant Newmarket team. And with the contribution of youngsters Jonny Bunker, Jordan Walker, Jon-Luke Pegram and James Atkinson the future looks bright for men’s hockey in Newmarket.