Tough Week For All

Cambridge South 1’s v Newmarket Ladies 1’s: 3-2 win to Newmarket
Last weekend’s game can only be described as lucky for Newmarket as they bagged 3 points on the final touch of the match against Cambridge South ladies 1’s.

Despite individual brilliance from Town players the side lacked a desire to win and failed to deliver a true team performance.

The match began familiarly for Newmarket as they had all the run of play and were taking it straight to their opposition D. However they were unable to fire at goal and had to be quick to retreat for the counter. Neither keeper had much to do as both sides promising moved failed to deliver.

With all the points to play for, the second half upped in tempo particularly for Cambridge South. Newmarket were communicating better and urging each other on. Gail Parkins was especially vocal and supporting her team mates she was well rewarded for this as after a surging attack via Beth Wombwell the ball rolled to the top of D, Parkins called for possession and struck first time roofing the ball above the keepers reach-a sure contender for goal of the season.

Despite this Cambridge South had much enthusiasm left in the tank and pushed harder for a goal whilst Newmarket backed off from early tackles, looking lacklustre. The home side were quick to pounce from a loose ball and took a free run in the D to strike smart levelling the score.

Newmarket were struggling to up their game and were not connecting with their forward players. However they forced a short corner for a foot in the D and after a slip pass Faye Andreou’s reverse shot found the target to give Town the edge.

South were not done and showed fighting spirit and they capitalised through a fast phase of open play minutes later leaving Newmarket deflated once again.

With the clock ticking on Newmarket had one more chance of snatching the points. After a wayward tackle in the D Newmarket had a short corner. Di Thomas pushed out to Andreou, she passed right to Wombwell. Her strike caught a bobble off the defender but like a hawk Kerry Alderson skilfully latched on to the ball and somehow edged it out of the keeper’s reach and into goal to take the match and all 3 points on the final whistle.

Newmarket were incredibly fortunate to win the game and were reminded that complacency was not an option in their current league. Sympathy to Cambridge South whose spirit alone deserved at least a share of the points.


Newmarket Men’s 1st XI  3 – 4 Wisbech Town Men’s 2nd XI

This game between 9th and 10th came to too early in the season to be labelled a six pointer but both clubs knew what an important game it was. Newmarket started well and dominated possession and territory, but too often gave away possession trying to hit a million dollar ball that wasn’t there which left themselves vulnerable to a young Wisbech attack on the break. Fortunately Chris Routs was on hand to save the first few breakaways but Wisbech scored three unanswered goals in a pretty insipid first half performance.

Newmarket made a slight re-shuffle at half time with Adam Tozer picking up their playmaker when Wisbech were in possession. The rest of the team stepped forward and marked their men very tightly which meant Wisbech found it almost impossible to get out of their own half.

Newmarket got the first goal back when captain Will Wilson finally found Mike Skelton in the D, Skelton controlled and fired a reverse stick shot into the far corner. Newmarket scored a second shortly afterwards Dave Worrall’s cross was deflected goal wards by Skelton, the goal saved well but the rebound popped up for the resurgent Chris Leggett to volley home.

They was really only one team in the game now and Newmarket peppered the Wisbech goal, but they found a keeper in inspired form. Alex Andreou was pivotal in winning many penalty corners, but Newmarket, some either narrowly missing of stop on the line by covering defenders. With Wisbech 3-2 ahead they made a rare break into Newmarket half with the forward in the far corner Jordan Newnes closed him down, losing his footing he went through the back of the forward two footed, in a tackle Vinnie Jones would have been proud off. Wisbech were rightly awarded a penalty corner and Newnes spent some time reflecting on his actions in the corner. Wisbech struck the ball down the middle, the ball somehow slipping under Routs pads and crawling over the line.

Even with only 10 Newmarket still dominated, with a shot blocked on the line by a Wisbech foot and penalty stroke was awarded, Wilson dispatched the flick into the roof of the net to bring the score back to 4-3. Newmarket ran out of time and frustratingly lost their third home game on the bounce by the odd goal.

Man of the match was Adam Tozer in central midfield, dick of the day was close with Newnes and Routs the outstanding candidates, but Newnes won it by a landslide. Next week the team are away at Sudbury, if than can play for the full 70 minutes, then they know they are more than capable of getting a result.