Week 14 Results – Ladies’ 1s Leave it Late

Men’s 1s: 1-1 draw vs Bury St Edmunds 2 (Home)
(J. Atkinson)

Newmarket Men’s 1s laboured to draw against Bury 2s this weekend. The away team took an early lead after a speculative effort sneaked past Town goalkeeper Martin McCourt and the home side struggled to find a way back into the match. Notable were chances for James Atkinson and skipper Matt Holden, but the score remained 0-1 until half time as Newmarket tried to shake off the rust and find their rhythm. A short while into the second half left midfielder Ollie Wade was forced off with a head injury, but just when it seemed Newmarket were sunk, the home side were awarded a penalty stroke following a flurry of Will Wilson short corners. However, Wilson’s effort was well saved by the Bury keeper, who then went on to make a number of outstanding saves to deny Town any reward for their continued efforts. Eventually though, the Bury resistance was broken, as Atkinson skipped through the defence to chip home from a tight angle with five minutes remaining. This seemed to spark the match into life and the game flowed from end to end for the final few, but the score finished tied at an exhausting 1-1.

Men’s 2s: Match Postponed vs Bury St Edmunds 3 (Away)

Men’s 3s: 6-2 win vs Ipswich Cranes 2 (Home)
(Walker 4, Benedikz 2)

MoM: Joe Boneham, in possession was not afraid to run at and beat defenders, in defence harried the Cranes players with the sort of energy we all need to show every week.
Captains pick: Jonny Bunker, effortlessly settled into the centre mid role with Peter Booth and provided plenty of through balls for the strikers to feed off.
Newmarket Men’s 3s won for the second time since Christmas and in so doing so, eased to the top of Div 7NE.
Newmarket took a while to get going and Cranes were quick to capitalise when a miss hit 16 landed at the feet of their striker who made a quick 1-2 and plonked the ball in the back of our net. Newmarket responded quickly when Jonny Bunker broke from midfield and found Jordan Walker in the D who showing unusual speed of movement slotted in the equaliser. Cranes went ahead again shortly after, through a scuffed shot that somehow crept in under keeper Seth Bailey. Again Bunker and Walker combined to level up the game before halftime. Newmarket had the greater proportion of shots and possession, but through being a bit slack at times had allowed Cranes to stay in the game.
Half Time; 2-2
Fortunately, the second half was probably the best hockey we have ever played. The backline, consisting of Bailey (GK), Chris Evans, Charlie Cummings, Will Frost and Simon Everitt, tightened up and didn’t concede another goal. The new centre pairing of Peter Booth and Jonny Bunker looked like they had been playing together for years, with Booth playing a slightly more defensive role and Bunker providing strong attacking runs with accurate distribution. The wings of Henry Frost, Rory Podd and Man of the Match Joe Boneham constantly attacked the Cranes backline providing crosses and chances to Walker and Benedikz who in popular parlance “filled their boots”. Walker completed his hat-trick before Benedikz tapped home twice from close range. Another Walker goal completed the scoring.
Credit has to go to Ipswich Cranes who needed 4 double ups to even field a team and played the whole game in a friendly, but competitive way.
Victory leaves the 3s top of the league and boasting the longest unbeaten run in the division (7) and the club.

Ladies’ 1s: 4-3 win vs Royston 1 (Home)
(G. Evans, Logan, McDonnell, Thomas)

This weeks fixture saw the Ladies 1s play Royston at home with a 4-3 victory. Newmarket scored 2 early goals in quick succession, the first goal worked up the pitch by Hayley Stoneman and planted in the back of the net by Jess Logan. The second goal was then hit into the goal by Claire McDonnell, the intensity of play subsided in the late parts of the first half but went into the second half with a 2-0 lead. Royston then fought back and gained two goals one of which was gained from a short corner. After a fighting battle in the D Newmarket edged back into the lead with a marvellous 3rd goal, scored by Grace Evans. Royston drew level again in the final 10 minutes, but failed to hold onto the draw as Newmarket stole a late goal, scored by Di Thomas, taking them to a 4-3 victory.

Ladies’ 2s: Match Postponed vs Huntingdon 1 (Away)

Ladies’ 3s: 2-1 win vs Cambridge City 5 (Away)
(Excell, Kelly)

The Ladies’ 3rd team were pleased to find themselves with an afternoon game which wasn’t cancelled by the frost!
Cambridge City 5s started strong, and Newmarket found them in their D within the first 30 seconds of the game. However that was to change quickly around as Newmarket took back possession, driving up pitch.
The ladies took advantage of their extra players with quick substitutions, keeping players fresh and focused.  The pitch was noted as extremely slippy as all players at some point fell foul. Capt Mel Podd was disappointed after receiving a fantastic ball from Jane Dryland just outside the D, only to slip while trying to play it in.
With the ball played up the right hand side of the pitch to Sophie Kelly, driving along the base line, and just at the goal line, a little tap in saw the first goal for Newmarket. There was some uncertainly as to who it exactly touched last as city’s keeper tried to stop the ball.
Half time talk saw the ladies feeling pleased with their performance, but anxious to keep their lead up.
Second half saw the ladies working hard again. A second goal for town came from Laura Excell, and at that point the ladies were starting to think that they may get away with a win, as city had less than 10 mins to get on the score sheet at all. City then won a short corner penalty, putting a very slick routine into the top corner for their first of the game.
Newmarket did not let their heads go down, although both Podd and Pegg could be heard frantically asking umpire how much time was left! It was only 4 mins, and there was no need for worry, as Newmarket fought on to the very last second.
This was a very good win for the girls against a tough side that have only lost 2 games prior to this one all season.  This was one of the best performances the ladies have put on all season and gives them plenty of expectation for some good results in their up coming games.
Captain and ladies very happy!
Man of the match went to Sophie Kelly, who scored her first league goal for the team and in only her second game is fast becoming a super star.
Teddy was awarded to Twiggles, who ran on pitch during previous game, causes umpires to halt play. (Janie Harrington’s dog!)
Next week sees the ladies take on Ely 2s at home at 11am.

Ladies’ 4s: Match Postponed vs St Neots 3 (Home)