Newmarket Men I 7 – 2 Cambridge City V

Newmarket started their 4th game of the season in division 5NW of the east hockey league looking to continue their excellent start to the season against one of their title challengers. Newmarket started with the same starting line up as last week and immediately took the game to Cambridge City 5’s. Jordan Newnes and Magnus Magnusson worked the ball out f the back corner, picked out William Wilson on the half way line, he in turned feed Chris Leggett in the D who with one touch deflected it over the diving keeper. Newmarket continued to attack, Josh Dawson soon forced a second when the defender deflected his cross into the net. The third goal came when Josh Dawson beat a couple of men from the right wing and pulled the ball back for William Wilson to score. Newmarket relaxed and conceded a sloppy goal when the defence backed out and allowed the forward into the D to score a scuffy goal. Undeterred Newmarket went straight back on the attack. Cambridge City resorted to some ugly challenges to try and put the team out of their stride. It didn’t work, as William Wilson drove the right wing and pulled the ball back for Ollie Wade at the top of the D, who finished emphatically into the bottom right corner. The half time whistle went with Newmarket deservedly 4 – 1 up.

The start of the second half saw Newmarket play some of the best hockey seen for a long time, the ball was being moved round the back at Ease by Jordan Newnes, Duncan Freed, Adrian Atkinson, marc Prentice and Pete Boyle, the midfield linked up well and Pears and Cummins were moving of the ball well upfront. Josh Dawson set up the fifth goal when he pulled the ball back to Greg Cummins to score with a great strike. Magnus Magnusson soon set up the fourth when he played the ball into mark Pears, who turned sharply at the top of the D and finished. William Wilson scored the seventh with a flick from a short corner. With 20 minutes to go the game was over, Newmarket had worked very hard and began to look tired. Cambridge City scored a second from a short corner as the game drifted to a conclusion.

Man of the match was Chris Leggett who once again held the team together and Andrew Beardon made an encouraging debut. Next weeks game is away against St Neots 3’s.