Hat trick hero Holden

Newmarket I  6 – 0  Boston I

Newmarket men’s first team played their first league game of
the 2011-12 against a competitive Boston side. Newmarket started with real
intent moving the ball quickly and at pace. They came against a resilient
defence and an outstanding goal keeper.

Holden opening the scoring after a fine move down the right
hand side involving Dave Worrall, Chris Leggett, Mike Skelton and Matt Holden.
The later driving into the D, beating a man and slotting the ball into the far
corner. Shortly afterwards Newmarket were reduced to 10 men when centre forward
Skelton was adjudged to have stopped a ball above his shoulder and shown a
yellow card, it was a very harsh decision.

Boston put the 10 men under some pressure, winning a couple
of penalty corners and forcing a save from Keeper Chris Routs. Once Newmarket
returned to their full quota they were back on the front foot, dominating
possession and territory.  The Boston keeper
pulled off some fantastic saves from Skelton and Mark Pears up front.

Newmarket scored their second goal from a penalty corner,
the keeper saved the original effort, but Will Wilson controlled the rebound,
beat a couple of men and set up Holden with a tap in for his second.

The second half was much the same as the first, Newmarket on
the attack and the Boston goalkeeper stealing the show. Alex Andreou made it 3
with a reverse stick strike into the bottom left corner. Boston were now
finding it hard to get out of the 25, Ollie Wade was fantastic at left half,
blocking the wing up and distributing the ball wisely.

Holden soon scored the fourth goal, Andreou added the fifth
before Boston’s ill-discipline began to spoil the game, eventually they were
penalised and had a man of their own sin-binned. Newmarket thought they had
scored twice during that period, only for both to be disallowed.

Boston still caused some trouble on the counter attack as
they tried to salvage some pride, fortunately Jordan Newnes was in good form at
centreback and Simon Harrington was on hand to clear one off the line. The game
was meandering to a scrappy conclusion until Mark Pears scored the teams sixth goal
just before the final whistle.

Newmarket were very pleased to get off to a winning start,
but they will need to work on their short corners to ensure that they get the
score lines their dominance deserves. Man of the match was Ollie Wade. Next
week’s game is away at Peterborough, 9:30 meet at the leisure centre.