Town in emphatic win

Newmarket I  13 – 2  St Neots II

Newmarket commenced their third league game of the season
against the team third in the league , who had won their first two games. For
the first twenty minutes the game was very close, Newmarket dominated large
chunks of possession, but found St Neots hard to break down and dangerous on
the counter attack. Newmarket broke the deadlock when Alex Andreou collected Ollie
Wade’s pass and fired into the net.

St Neots soon levelled when Newmarket failed to react to a
St Neots set piece, the centre forward peeling of the centre back and slotting
home. St Neots refused to follow the script and took the lead while Newmarket
took another nap, despite Chris Routs saving the first attempt the left winger
was able to tap the ball into an empty net. It prompted a re-shuffle at the
back with Jordan Newnes marking the pacy centre forward. It’s the first time
the team had been behind this season, if they can repeat what happened on
Saturday every time they go behind it will be a great season.

With Will Wilson and Dave Worrall providing width from full
backs, Alex Andreou soon scored his and the teams second with a direct strike
from a penalty corner, the third goal came from a another penalty corner, which
was slipped to Ollie Wade, he slapped to the far post where Josh Dawson
deflected it in. It was soon four, when Chris Leggett drove into the 25 and played
Mark Pears in for a neat first time finish. Josh Dawson soon made in five after
good work from Matthew Holden. St Neots were getting rattled and were reduced
to ten men when their frustration got the better of them. Newmarket took
advantage when Ollie Wade scored with a tap in from another sweeping move just
before half time.

The second continued in the same vein, Alex Andreou
completed his hat trick with a fine reverse stick shot into the far corner,
Mike Skelton added the eighth tapping home a rebound. It was the striker’s
first of many league goals for the club. St Neots reminded Newmarket there were
still in the game when they forced a penalty corner, it was well saved by Routs
and Simon Harrington was on hand to clear the ball from the line.

Mark Pears scored the ninth reacting first to a save from the
goalie and firing home, Alex Andreou made it ten from another penalty corner
strike. The game was now well and truly over as a contest, Ollie Wade scored
his second from close range before getting a yellow card for two clumsy tackles
in succession. Chris Leggett scored the last two goals of the game, both fully
deserved after his man of the match performance in centre midfield. Rob Green
made his first appearance of the season from the bench and went close a couple
of times.

All in all a great team performance, which should send a
message of the rest of the league, next week we are away at fourth in the
league Spalding II’s.