Men’s 1’s Beaten By Deeping

Bourne Deeping II 3 – 1 Newmarket I
Newmarket travelled north to Deeping St James knowing that if they won and results went their way they would be 8 points clear by the end of the day. Bourne Deeping had other ideas and provided Newmarket with their stern test, and one ultimately they weren’t able to match.
With Worrall unable to play due to work commitments and Dawson in Lapland seeking work for the festive period, Newmarket took a bare eleven to Deeping. They started well carving out a great opportunity in the first 30 seconds. Newmarket eventually took the lead in the 10th minute. Alex Andreou’s hit from outside the 25 rebounding of the post leaving Mark Pears with a tap in. Matt Holden was instrumental in winning numerous penalty corners, Deeping defended them well with 2 of Andreou’s strikes being cleared of the line.
Deeping mounted a few of the own attacks mainly down their right hand side, from one attack goal-keeper Routs made a sharp stop, deflected into the forwards foot, he squared to a team mate who scored. Newmarket felt aggrieved as it was a clear foot, but Deepings umpire didn’t see the offence and couldn’t give something he hadn’t seen. Deeping soon scored a second goal, Newnes was harshly adjudged to have intentionally put the ball over the backline, from the resulting short corner, Harrington went missing at the far post and Deeping capitalised.
Newmarket created plenty of chances of their own, Pears could have done with more composure in front of goal, twice missing first time efforts when he had time to take a touch. Skelton had the opportunity to finish of another move but took too long to get his shot of allowing a defender to clear with the goal gaping. Deeping then made it three from another short corner when the strike wriggled through the logging keepers pads into the back of the net.
The half time whistle went, Newmarket did feel that the umpires hadn’t applied the rules consistently on the first half but were determined to re double their efforts in the second half. Newmarket had the majority of the game, despite having Chris Leggett deservedly sent off for dissent. The team wasted a couple more penalty corners, before Will Wilson glanced the post with a flick from the top of the D. When Chris Leggett returned to the pitch they continued to dominate, Skelton won a penalty flick, which Captain Wilson wasted allowing the keeper to make a save. Newmarket started to feel it wasn’t their day.
This was compounded with 5 minutes to go when both teams had a man each for sent off, Andreou was fouled by the Deeping centre midfielder several times. With the new self pass rule, preventing the opponent tackling for 5 yards sometimes giving a decision can now be an advantage. As it was both players suffered as a direct result of the umpires not taking charge of the game. With the opponent towering over him Andreou tried to get off the floor, only for the Deeping player to try and head butt him. For some reason the young umpire felt both players deserved a red card, leaving Newmarket and many spectators scratching their head in disbelief.
This should detract from the Market Deeping performance, they took their chances and therefore warranted the victory. Newmarket made many individual errors and didn’t take any of the numerous chances on offer. The only players to come out with credit were stand in right back Ben Gotfredsen, left midfield Ollie “keep it positive” Wade and man of the match Mike Skelton.
Next week Newmarket are at home to March, the team will look to get over this week’s blip and return to the championship form they have demonstrated all season.