Mens’ 1’s Play Cool Under Pressure

Newmarket I 3–0 City of Peterborough VI
Goal scorers: Mike Skelton x 2, Ollie Wade
Newmarket hosted a Peterborough team they only seem to play in extremes of temperature, having played in October during a heat wave they were fortunate that this game was one of the few locally not to have been postponed due to a frozen pitch.
Newmarket almost scored in the first minute, Matt Holden robbing the centre back at the top of the D and forcing a smart stop from the keeper. The team expected a high energy start but as in the first match, they found Peterborough well organised and difficult to break down. The next 15 minutes or so were very even, Newmarket kept possession better than they have in previous weeks and managed to maintain possession in the other half without trying to force the ball too frequently. By keeping the ball the team forced a succession of short corners, which Peterborough either defended well or Newmarket wasted.
Gradually Newmarket began to wear down Peterborough’s stubborn resistance, by working the ball round the back and pulling the defence out switching the point of attack. Dave Worrall drove forward from right back and after a slick move featuring Matt Holden, Josh Dawson and Chris Leggett, Mike Skelton finished neatly into the bottom corner on his reverse stick.
Newmarket soon scored a second from a similarly flowing move, this time the ball started with the right back and went through Simon Harrington, Jordan Newnes, to left back Will Wilson, the ball was played up the pitch involving the whole midfield before it was played back to Wilson, who’s reverse stick cross was tapped into an empty net by Ollie Wade.
Josh Dawson thought he had scored a third but it was disallowed for a foot, the half time whistle went with Newmarket keeper Chris Routs reduced to a rather cold spectator. The second half continued in the same vein, Dawson’s great movement enabled Wilson to pick him out with a defence splitting pass, he was clattered as he rounded the keeper, with the ball rolling to Mark Pears the umpire played a good advantage as Pears squared to Skelton for his second of the game. Dwarf Dawson had another goal disallowed from a short corner for apparently impeding the large goalkeeper meaning the top scorer was unable to add to his tally today.
The whistle set to draw to a close a very solid Newmarket performance, the score line didn’t reflect the team’s dominance, but with keeper Routs not touching the ball for the third game this season the team are starting to the lay the defensive foundations they may need in future seasons.
In the bar afterwards Man of the match was very close, Chris Leggett played very well in the middle, Simon Harrington was commanding at centre back, Mike Skelton moved well up front, but Dave Worrall clinched it for an outstanding display at right back.
Dick of the Day was pretty one-sided, Wilson won it hands down for pulling his aerial pass over his shoulder narrowly missing a host of parked cars. Next week’s game is away against St Neots, after putting 13 past them at the start of the season the team are very much looking forward to it!