Ladies’ 1’s Lose But Mens’ 1’s Back To Winning Ways

Newmarket Ladies 1’s v Rutland Ladies 1’s: 3-2 win to Rutland
The ladies 1st team were playing at home for a third week in a row and it proved 3rd time unlucky as they tasted their first defeat of the season.
They were playing top spot holders Rutland who had youth and energy on their side. Newmarket looked a bit lack lustre as they struggled to result positive moves with a goal. Despite many short corners, Town failed to get any shots on target.
The first half both teams were losing possession in midfield but Rutland took on a spilled pass and capitalised to go ahead.
After an honest half time talk Newmarket started spritely taking the play straight to the Rutland D. Sadly this opened a gap for Rutland and Town backed off leaving chance for the shot-the ball sneaked past unsighted goalie Sue Bullimore.
Newmarket now playing with more passion and determination managed to cease possession and a central move meant Lydia Evans smashed towards goal-the keeper kicking into her own goal meaning under new ‘Own Goal’ rules that the shot counted and Town were off the mark.
However 5 minutes later Rutland utilised the free space Town were giving them and hit the target-a goal very similar to the one previous.
The last opportunity feel to Newmarket as they were gaining the upper hand on the match-on form Hayley Stoneman fought hard to retain the ball and the hammered the ball into goal taking it to 3-2.
Despite losing; Newmarket are keen to build from the experience and keep their league title campaign alive. The team face Huntingdon 2pm at home next weekNewmarket Men’s 1st XI 2 – 0 Cambridge City 4th XI

After last week’s defeat against a very strong Wisbech side, Newmarket looked to get their promotion challenge back on track against a strong aggressive Cambridge City side.
The game was an even contest for much of the first half, Newmarket with more possession and territory but Cambridge City very effective on the break. Josh Dawson was prominent for Newmarket on the right flank and Ollie Wade was linking well with Michael Skelton on the left. Newmarket won a penalty corner which Dawson converted to give Newmarket the lead.
Cambridge City came back stronger, Alex Andreou and Chris Leggett struggled to come to terms with the City central midfield pairing and with Jordan Newnes and Simon Harrington not getting tight enough to their men, City forced some got chances from open play and via their own penalty corner. They came up against an inspired keeper in Chris Routs who wasn’t in the mood to get beaten, making countless fine saves, warranting his man of the match vote, when he was beaten skipper Will Wilson was on the line to clear.
The half time whistle went with Newmarket a goal to the good, coach Nic Thorpe was happier than last week and sent his charges out for the second half asking more on the same, it was a greatly improved second half performance, Newmarket looked much more solid, with better organisation Newnes, Harrington, Andreou and Leggett all got closer to their men and as a result Newmarket dominated the half, scoring another goal from a Chris Leggett deflection at another penalty corner.
The crowd expected more goals to come, but a combination on a poor final ball and good defending restricted Newmarket to just the 2 goals, Newmarket were lucky to keep 11 men on the field when Harrington was lucky to receive only a green card for a clumsy tackle in the middle of the park.
Next week Newmarket travel to face Rutland one of the 3 remaining unbeaten teams in the league, with an 11am pushback and a 9am morning meet and early night will be required on Friday!

Newmarket Ladies 2’s v St Ives:
Newmarket Ladies 2s travelled to One Leisure on Saturday to meet close rivals St Ives 3s. The first half was closely fought, Town leaving a few gaps in their marking but otherwise excellent defensive skills and supremely calm attitude from Sarah Ganiford and the Atkinson sisters April and Jade, allowing St Ives no clear shots. The score line was altered by Town first with the ball being carried up the right wing, guided along the back line and passed centre front of goal for Cassie Edgar-Ayms to control and find the back board. St Ives pushed straight back and heavily manned their attacking D, equalising with a short range goal shortly before half time.
Town’s half time talk identified the St Ives overload and Harriet Briggs was given the task of marking one particular key player. Town created lots of space with strong passing possession and interception of St Ives long passes. Town converted a short corner to give themselves a little more control of the game but St Ives continued to battle, winning multiple short corners but failing to score. Newmarket Men’s 2s arrived for their following match and their support buoyed the Ladies to drive up the right wing and Becka Swift produced a repeat of the first goal. Tight marking was still required but Town visibly relaxed in their attack and were rewarded with another goal from open play. Man of the Match was awarded to April Atkinson for her strong performance in a new position.
Ladies 2s remain top of Div 1, unbeaten this season and keen to continue this success with a home fixture next weekend v Cambridge Nomads.