Newmarket Men’s 1st XI 5 – 0 City of Peterborough Men’s 5th XI

Goal scorers – Mike Skelton x 3, Will Wilson, Matt Holden

Newmarket went into the game against 10th placed City of Peterborough expecting a tough game, whilst occupying the place just above relegation, they’re goal difference was only -6 as most of the games they have lost have been by the odd goal. This assumption turned out to be true as Newmarket were forced to work as hard if not harder than they did last week when defeating second place Cambridge South 1’s.

Peterborough started stronger pressing high up the pitch putting the Newmarket defence of Dave Worrall, Simon Harrington, James Wrinch and Will Wilson under pressure. As Newmarket settled and started transferring the ball at pace, space opened up for Alex Andreou and Chris Leggett in the centre of midfield. With Mike Skelton and Matt Holden good movement up front creating space, Newmarket began to dominate and play the game in the Peterborough half.

Peterborough were finding it very difficult to tackle Holden, who’s skilful play was rewarded with the first penalty corner of the game, which Wilson despatch with a trademark flick. Newmarket’s tails were now up, Harry Bell, Mark Pears and Josh Dawson were linking up well in attack. The second came soon after, Andreou intercepting an aerial, driving into the 25 and playing the ball to Holden, who drew the keeper and squared for Skelton to score from close range.

The third goal came from a flowing move down the left Rodney Trotter beat a couple of players and fed Holden, who slipped to Dawson, Dawson drove the by-line and set up Skelton for another tap in. The game got rather heated for a while with both captains asked to calm their players down, the game then stopped for a blood injury to the Peterborough skipper who later returned to play resembling Terry Butcher. The two interruptions seemed to disrupt Newmarket rhythm and Peterborough finished the half strongly with a flurry of penalty corners. Routs saved the first, Wrinch cleared the second off the line and the third cannoned back from the inside of the post.

At the half time interval Coach Nic Thorpe demanded more of the same, but once again Peterborough came out hard, Newmarket knew the fourth goal would be crucial and Holden beat three players in a crowded D and calmly slotted into the bottom right corner. It still didn’t break Peterborough spirit, but Newmarket were now able to pick them off on the counter attack. The fifth goal came with Harrington switching the ball round that back at pace, Wilson fed Andreou who beat a couple of players in the 25 and set Skelton up for his hat trick.

Peterborough were awarded a few penalty corners for some strong challenges in the Newmarket 25, but the team defended these well saw the rest of the game out, backed by some tremendous support from the sidelines. How Peterborough are where they are in the league left Newmarket slightly perplexed and we would expect them to be much higher in the table when we travel there for the last game of the season.

This was the second successive great team performance, standout performers were James Wrinch who was commanding at centre back, Mark Pears, Mike Skelton, but man of the match went to Matt Holden for the major contribution to the first 4 goals.

Dick of the day had a few contenders, Josh Dawson pushing his luck a little too far with the umpiring pacing out 5 yards to concede a penalty corner, Chris Leggett for managing to throw a ball into club president Hazel Rolfe during the warm up, Harry Bell for turning an attacking long corner into a one on one for Peterborough, but the winner was Simon Harrington for his very polite “he kicked it protestations” followed by emitting a grunt Maria Sharapova would be proud of while chucking are aerial down the line!

Next week Newmarket face Cambridge Nomads at home, 3:30 start. With Wisbech 2’s winning again to maintain their one point advantage at the top of the table, nothing less than a win will do. With the second team performing well in their league following last season’s promotion, there are a few players banging on the door for promotion to the first team squad, which will give captain Wilson and coach Thorpe some hard decisions to make over the coming weeks.

Newmarket Ladies 1’s v Spalding Ladies 2’s: 4-0 win to Newmarket

After facing Spalding twice already this season Newmarket were tipped to outdo their opposition at home.

Spalding took the pushback but Newmarket intercepted straight away and this was a similar occurrence throughout the game. After a shuffle on the left of field Angel Fayers was placed on the post to deflect in a goal provided by her own short corner.

With 70% of the possession now Newmarket’s the second half was set for more goals. Claire McDonnell was next to hit the target – clipping mid D, initial play coming from exemplary passing from Isabel Hooley and Lydia Evans. McDonnell then struck again for Town, this time she used her skill to take the ball up the middle of the pitch and struck hard from the edge of the circle.

Superb defending from Nikki Boyle and Jazz Wombwell meant things were very calm out of the attacking half.

The final goal for Newmarket was courtesy of Beth Wombwell-she collected a right hand cross to put an instinctive shot in, hitting the bottom left corner.

The victory leaves Newmarket in 3rd position in the table but only 3 points away from league leaders Wisbech who they face away next week. Town also have a game in hand which could mean with 3 games left before the Christmas break they have a chance of being Christmas number 1.

Mens 2’s: 4-1 victory against Bourne Deeping.

After last weeks home victory against St Ives brought some cheer to the Newmarket camp, this week found them having what is traditionally a tough away game to Bourne Deeping. All started well however with Newmarket playing some good hockey, moving the ball well and really taking the game to Bourne Deeping. Ollie Wade and Ben Gottfredson particularly causing problems to the home defence. Eventually Newmarket won a penalty corner that Wade converted with a deft flick 1-0 to Newmarket.
The game continued through the first half in much the same manner, with Bourne Deeping unable to breakthrough the Newmarket defence, with Darren Jenkins and Adrian Atkinson working well to subdue any attack, and with Jordan Newnes and Pete Boyle at right and left back creating width Newmarkets counter attacking always had Bourne Deeping worried.
It was inevitable therefore that another goal would come, and so it did from a superb strike by Wade again, 2-0 Newmarket. Things where made a bit tougher for the visitors when Newnes was yellow carded and had to take a small sojourn on the touch line. Newmarket weren’t fazed however and still the home side couldn’t breakthrough and the score remained 2-0 at halftime.
With Newmarket back to full strength for the second half the visitors started how they ended the first half, with Will Balding and Rob Greene creating chances and making themselves busy in the Bourne Deeping area. This work was rewarded halfway through the second when Rob Greene drifted beautifully past a despairing Bourne keeper to calmly slot the ball home just after Bourne had drawn a goal back to make the score 3-1 to Newmarket. And the visitors weren’t finished, a returning Sam Imrie swept home from the edge of the area to make the score 4-1 to Newmarket. And this was how the game ended, with a deserved victory to Newmarket that reflected the effort and determination shown by the travelling side.