Chelmsford Friendlies 2013

Newmarket ladies 4 Chelmsford ladies 0
Newmarket mixed ladies team got off to a flyer by beating a mixed ability Chelmsford side away, 4-0.
Town looked confident in attack an immediately took control following the push back.
Jasmine Wombwell who is has been elected ladies 1’s captain ushered the side to keep possession and adopt quick passing. Town had to ensure a solid back line as Chelmsford were progressing play down a central channel.
After 10 minutes Newmarket made a positive move, after a sideline hit Kerry Alderson drove the ball goalwards and passed to Claire McDonnell who sold the keeper a trick to dribble into goal.
Newmarket’s formation was strong, however pace was lacking on occasions off the ball.
Town now focused the play in the Chelmsford half and a foot in the D provided a short corner. Di Thomas pushed out to Faye Andreou who unleashed a shot that the keeper could not deflect wide.
The second half was a similar story with the majority of the play owned by Town. Beth Wombwell worked tirelessly throughout the game and lifted her teams momentum. Newmarket needed to make the score line greater to be sure of the win and Alderson was perfectly placed to get on the end of McDonnell’s cross to slot home.
Chelmsford managed to break through to the D but the attack fell through after a missed pass.
Playing her first game for Newmarket Abbi Pass fitted excellently into the squad and even capitalised for Town. After receiving a ball in midfield she took on a defender and left one on one with the keeper pelted into the bottom left corner to finish off the match and seal the win for Newmarket.

Chelmsford Men’s 2nd XI 9 – 3 Newmarket Men’s 1st XI
Newmarket travelled to one of East Anglia’s few water based Astros to play in a downpour on a lake, contaminated with a level of Algae that would have made Erin Brockovich’s eyes light up! The pitch, as unfamiliar as it was, cannot justify the uncommitted performance that too many of the players put in.
Chelmsford started very well, pressing high up the pitch, often picking the ball up between the half way line and 25 and committing plenty of players into the attack to overload Newmarket’s defence and pass the ball round Chris Routs in the Newmarket goal. For the next 10 minutes or so Newmarket maintained some possession, working the ball well and threatening on a number of occasions. Chelmsford still managed to score the third, a simple aerial undoing the defence, with a tap in on the far corner.
For the rest of the half Newmarket traded goals with Chelmsford, Mark Pears finished off a nice team move, the tireless Ollie Wade picked out Josh Dawson with a 40 yard through ball to score Newmarket’s second and Ben Gotfredsen reacted quickest to score the third. At half time the score was 5-3.
In the second half Chelmsford continued in the same vein, but Newmarket clearly tired. James Wrinch worked tirelessly in midfield, Dawson threatened a few times on the right. Too often too many of the Newmarket players failed to move of the ball, reducing the options of the player in possession, they consequently hit a long pass, this often conceded possession. When the ball was lost too many failed to track the numerous runners from midfield. Routs played well in goal and despite numerous sharp saves, including his nemesis a penalty corner drag flick on the final whistle he was unable to prevent Chelmsford adding another 4 goals.
The team we played finished one place above Royston in the league last season, Chelmsford owned up to playing 5 first team regulars in this second team fixture. However, it also demonstrated to captain Wilson and coach Thorpe a few things that the squad need to improve on and for some that is clearly fitness, the basis everything else is built on! With a squad of 16 and a couple of potential new signings in the offing, nobody can or should rest on their laurels!
Next week Newmarket start the league season away at Cambridge Nomads 1st XI. The game is at Coldhams Common and starts at 12:30 supporters are always welcome!