1st Teams Get 3 Points Apiece

Newmarket Ladies 2’s 0 – 8 Newmarket Ladies 1’s
Scorers: F Andreou 2, D Thomas 2, C McDonnell 1, A Pass 1, L Evans 1, B Wombwell 1.

Newmarket Ladies 1st and 2nd team squads faced an ultimate mental and physical battle to start off the league season. They had to face each other which caused a severe mix of emotions. Bringing to light team selection and player mental strength, the emphasis for both sides was to play the same as you would for any opposition to help deal with the scenario.

The 2’s opened the game and it was apparent from the off that the match was going to be fast paced and a true fight. The 1st team were able to hijack possession and after working the ball well around the back players a forward move found Claire McDonnell who managed to slot the ball passed 2’s keeper Sue Bullimore. With little celebration the 1’s needed to ensure further goals and after a scramble around the D they were awarded a short corner. Di Thomas injected to Faye Andreou – she picked her spot nicely to claim the first team’s second goal.

The occasion caused a stunted atmosphere which left neutral murmurs from supporters. 2’s Coach Colin Seakins could be heard urging his team on whilst stand in Coach Chris Leggett kindly supported the 1’s.

With both teams in full flow the game started to settle, nerves diminishing and strong passing was the key to the 1’s capitalising further. They notched up another 5 goals before half time – Abbi Pass getting the third after a skilful poach at the right post, Lydia Evans converting a solo effort from mid D, Faye Andreou getting her second after another powerful strike top D and Di Thomas also getting a brace; a touch at the far post and a solo effort after beating the running out keeper. This took the score to 7-0 at half time.

The second half played out an entirely different game with the ladies 2’s coming out stronger and more determined of the two sides. Fantastic running in midfield from Grace Evans and Vicky Sievewright broke down the 1’s attacks and also Sam Brooke and Holly Woods taking early tackles. This put the 1’s on the defensive and also perhaps highlighted a lack of match fitness.
Player of the Match Donna Keates used her exemplary fitness level to drive the ball forward for the 2’s creating chances on goal against Jade Atkinson. Rebecca Swift was also a key player for the 2’s – ball control and pace being her strengths.

Due to many a battle in midfield the goal tally was reduced in the second half. Beth Wombwell being rewarded yet again for her tireless running and unselfish play managed to bag a goal for the 1’s, she took control of play in the centre of the pitch after receiving a pinpoint pass from April Atkinson and played a one two move with McDonnell and then slotted the ball cleverly around Bullimore taking the final score to 8-0. Gail Parkins had a final cracking shot for the 1’s but Bullimore deflected away at full stretch and the 2’s would have conceded more if it had not been for their keepers’ abilities which also earned her a few bruises.

Moving on from this game the ladies 2’s hope to get a win under their belt next week as a confidence boost and the ladies 1’s look to continue even stronger as they face local rivals Haverhill away next week.

Both teams must be commended for their attitude and good spirit in dealing with such a difficult game and they look to replicate this again as they face each other in their first game of 2014.

Bury St Edmunds Mens 1st XI  0 – 4  Newmarket Mens 1st XI

After not getting the results their performances have deserved this season it was imperative that Newmarket collected a maximum on Saturday against local rivals Bury St Edmunds.

Bury started the better pressing high and putting Newmarket under pressure, but as the half progressed James Wrinch, Adam Tozer and Ollie Wade found lots of space in midfield and began to create opportunities, Adam Tozer capped a fine flowing move by smashing the ball into the roof of the net for the opener.

For the next 20 minutes Newmarket dominated the game, the second came when Michael Skelton’s movement and clever lay off created space for Ollie Wade, he fired an early cross into the D where Matt Holden was on hand to deflect a first time shot under the diving keeper.

The third was almost a carbon copy, Tozer set Wade free down the left, his cross was met by Josh Dawson at the near post, but saved by the defender on the line, Dawson dived to ram the rebound home at full stretch.

With a comfortable lead Newmarket relaxed a little which let Bury back into the game, keeper Chris Routs had to be on his toes to save a smart deflection just before half time. Newmarket came out after the interval knowing the next goal would be crucial, but the game didn’t have the same flow as the first period and was much more scrappy.

Newmarket still created the better chances and will need to ensure that they make more of their visits to the D in coming weeks. Harry Bell scored the fourth with 10 minutes left to finish the game as a contest. Ollie Wade made some space in the D and squared to Bell whose shot beat the keeper and nestled in the far corner. Bury pushed for a consolation but the closest they came was pounding Routs’ helmet!

This was a solid performance very much in the vein of Norwich the week before. Simon Harrington handled their danger man surprisingly well, with the other defenders Will Wilson, Jordan Newnes and David Worrall sniffing out any other danger. Jordan Newnes was particularly good at centre back reading the game well and handling the pacy centre forward with aplomb!

Both votes were difficult as everybody played well but man of the match was right back Dave Worrall, Dick of the day for a swinging his stick missing the ball, pirouetting and ending up on his back side was Alex Andreou. Next week we face high flying Spalding at home at 3:30, spectators welcome.

Mens 2’s v Bourne Deeping: 4-1 win to Newmarket

After last weeks close run game against Peterborough, Newmarket where determined not to make the same mistakes that nearly cost them their last game. So with this in mind, skipper Pete Boyle changed the formation around to try and give Newmarket a more attacking edge.
The new formation seemed to work straight from the whistle, with the new midfield if Ben Gottfredson, Adam Gallop, Chris Leggett and Darren Jenkins making life very difficult for the Bourne Deeping defence. This early dominance would lead to an early strike by Chris Leggett to put Newmarket 1-0.
The early control of the midfield by Newmarket enabled strike pairing of Lee Blades and Mark Pears to create havoc amongst the Deeping defence, and led to a second goal by Pears. Blades contribution throughout the whole game would lead him to getting man of the match, a fitting reward for his hard work.
But Newmarket weren’t to have all their own way, however, because Deeping never gave up, and several times they broke through the midfield wall and the back pair of Mark Prentice and Pete Boyle  struggled to keep the opposition at bay. On several occasions Deeping broke through however, only for them to come up against an in fo Jon-Luke Pegram, who yet again made some outstanding saves. And although Deeping did score from one of these attacks, it was against the run of play.
The second half started as the first ended, with Newmarket on the attack. And Deeping where beginning to struggle with the pace of Newmarkets forwards and midfield. This was typified by Newmarkets third goal, a surging run from Ed Griffiths, Blades and Pears splitting the defence and making an opening for Griffiths to rifle in from the top of the D. 3-1 Newmarket.
With options on the widths with Griffiths James Atkinson Jordan Walker, and a cameo from young Louis Hrebeniak, a fourth goal was almost inevitable, and sure enough, a fourth was to come. This time from Rob Green, whose powerful shot to a deflection and nestled in the back of the net. 4-1 Newmarket.
This is how the game ended, a fine performance, capped by a fine result, it would appear Newmarkets campaign for promotion is gathering pace.