Points For All!

Newmarket Ladies 1’s v Cambridge Nomads 2’s. 3-0 win to Newmarket
After last week’s inspiring win Newmarket found themselves with a couple of key players down, however this did not upset their winning streak as they took 3 points from opponents Cambridge Nomads.
Despite the game looking a close contest in midfield Newmarket had many opportunities to hit the target. Frustration did start to show as Town stopped talking to support players. They had a multitude of short corners but failed to convert after good defending from Nomads.
At last Newmarket were rewarded for their efforts – after a skilful link up from Beth Wombwell; Lydia Evans got her second of the season in fine style.
Confident play at the back of the field was again the defining quality to Newmarket’s success and Captain Jazz Wombwell marshalled her side well to create chances up field.
Player of the match April Atkinson showed supirior skills and exemplary determination throughout the match and created the next goal to start the second half for Newmarket. She drove upfield and passed to Wombwell who slipped the ball to Di Thomas in front of the keeper – her reverse flick trickled passed the keeper into goal luckily.
Nomads feeling the match was now beyond their reach began to slow and finally Newmarket were playing a better passing game. This allowed for the third goal. Donna Keats showing lightning pace up front timed her run perfectly as she volleyed a cross goalwards firmly into the back of net.
Playing her final match for Newmarket before moving on to pastures new Hayley Stoneman as ever showed superb tackling, passing and skills. She dominated the centre of the field as ever and will be severely missed on and off the field by Town. The club wish her luck going forwards.
The ladies 1’s face Cambridge South away next week and hope to continue winning with another clean sheet. Early league standings shows the ladies 1’s in second place by a point but they have the trump card of a game in hand over league leaders St Ives. They are the only team in all of the East leagues and divisions not to have a goal scored against them yet.
Norwich Dragons Men’s 1st XI 2 – 2 Newmarket Men’s 1st XI
Newmarket’s third away game of the season took them on a trip to Norwich to face Norwich Dragons. With dragons won all their home games they expected a tough game.
Dragons started well out numbering Newmarket’s central midfield pairing of Alex Andreou and James Wrinch and driving through the middle at Newmarket’s re-shuffled back line. With Dave Worrall attending a wedding at Gretna, Ollie Wade moved from left midfield to right back. The defence survived 15 minutes of fairly intense pressure, but when they were breached birthday boy Chris Routs dealt with the danger.
Matt Holden limped off soon after having torn his right hamstring, but gradually Newmarket started to get a foothold in the game. Mike Skelton was always available up front and Adam Tozer combined with him and Ed Griffiths well to draw a few saves out of the Dragons keeper. Dragons were still dangerous on the break, winning a penalty corner which Harrington cleared from the line.
Newmarket took the lead just before half time from a penalty corner, Josh Dawson deflecting in Simon Harrington’s pass, Newmarket had a chance to make it 2 moments later, breaking quickly Tozer fired a great ball into the D, but a defender managed to deflect in wide of goal before it reached Griffiths with the goal gaping.
Newmarket started the second half in the same vain. Jordan Newnes marshalled the centre forward well and started a few attacks, Newmarket won a few more penalty corners, Simon Harrington scoring the second from one of them. His initial effort was blocked but the ball landed in front of him, with one touch to control he lifted the ball over the keeper into the roof of the net.
However, not for the first time this season, Newmarket conspired to throw away a two goal lead. They were reduced to 10 men when Josh Dawson collected a yellow card for dissent after his cross struck a defenders foot in the D which everybody other than the umpire saw. This conceded the advantage to Norwich and after Newmarket conceded possession cheaply in their own 25 Norwich punished them by getting a goal back.
Newmarket almost grabbed a third, Chris Leggett making a impressive return to the team deflecting a cross over the bar. Harrington was on hand in Newmarket D to make another goal line block, deflecting a shot at head height safely over the bar.
Going into the last 10 minutes, Newmarket went long too often, conceding possession and putting themselves under further pressure. After a few missed tackles and with the central midfielder cleverly rugby tackling Routs, Dragons equalised. The last few minutes were end to end, with both teams striving to win the game, Dragons fashioned the better chances and from being out of it before the yellow card were probably unlucky not to win it.
Newmarket were let down by a lack of discipline and fitness, very similar to 2 or 3 other games this season. Let’s hope that the 7 points the team feel they have dropped don’t come back to haunt us at the end of the season. Man of the match was Chris Routs in goal, dick of the day was close, but Holden piped Harrington and Dawson for pulling his right hamstring as he is only just recovering from injuring his left on the first game of the season. Next week Newmarket host Wisbech 2’s at the leisure centre, 15:30 start.

Newmarket Mens’ 2’s v Wisbech. 1-1

Newmarket came into Saturday’s game following three wins from three and where in the mood to make it four from four. Newmarket’s opponents, Wisbech, had very different ideas however.
Newmarket had the pushback, but it was Wisbech who made the early running and caused the Newmarket defence considerable problems. It took Newmarket some time to find their usual rhythm and pace, in fact, it wasn’t until Wisbech scored the opening goal that Newmarket turned up to the party.
However, once Newmarket had gone behind they did what they are becoming known for, digging in and battling. Their efforts where rewarded in the second half when Lee Blades finished off an excellent move to equalise.
The last 15 minutes where all Newmarket and Wisbech could barely get out if their area, let alone their half. At the final whistle the scores where level at 1-1, which on balance was probably a fair result, despite Newmarket finishing the stronger team.
On this occasion Newmarket had, by their standards, a bad day at the office, but they still managed to drag out a result. This alone says a great deal for the determination and will to win of the team. This determination coupled with a return to form will lead to ever greater success and they are, without doubt, strong contenders for promotion.