Newmarket Teams Put To The Test

Sudbury men’s 1st XI 4-3 Newmarket men’s 1st XI

Newmarket travelled away to face a Sudbury team that was playing 2 league higher than us last season but occupying the place above Newmarket in the table. After losing to a close rival last week, Town couldn’t afford to do it again.

With Matt Holden still recovering from his hamstring injury and Dave Worrall unavailable through work commitments, skipper Will Wilson called Ben Gotfredsen up from the second team for his first appearance of the season.

Newmarket started poorly and were under significant pressure from Sudbury. On an early foray into Newmarket’s D they won a penalty corner, they injected from they favoured side of goal, a slick routine culminating Ina cruel deflection off Simon Harrington’s stick into the top corner.

Sudbury maintained the pressure outnumbering Newmarket in central midfield. Their second goal was one of the most bizarre I have seen in over 20 years, Harrington won back possession in the Newmarket D, facing his own goal he decided to carry the ball along the dead ball line, passed a bemused Chris Routs in goal on the near post, only to lift his stick off the ball to allow a forward to jab the ball over the line from a foot out.

Newmarket dug deep and responded well, they started to get their passing game going and scored when James Wrinch threaded the ball through to Mike Skelton, he deflected the ball into Ollie Wades path for him to finish at the far post.

Newmarket then equalised with a slick two touch move featuring Wilson, Adam Tozer, Chris Leggett and Ollie Wade down Newmarket’s left. Alex Andreou getting the final touch on the far post. It wasn’t long before Newmarket went in front, Wilson hammered an early cross in from the left, the hit was too much for the defender, it rolled under his stick and after a goal mouth scramble Josh Dawson rammed the ball home. Newmarket were now rampant and for the next 10 minutes Sudbury’s keeper kept them in the game, but the fourth goal they craved didn’t come.

There was still time in a frenetic first half for Sudbury to equalise, catching Newmarket on the break with the attacking midfielder’s cross finished well by the right winger on the angle.

The game was much more cagey second half, with much less goal mouth incident, Newmarket had more possession and created enough chance, but Sudbury were always dangerous on the break and scored a fourth after a quick free hit was finished neatly from the top of the D.

Rather frustratingly that’s the teams fourth one goal defeat of the season, let’s hope it doesn’t become habitual. There was no vote for dick of the day (now renamed the Simon Harrington award). Man of the match went to Will Wilson, although Jordan Newnes and Mike Skelton also got a couple of votes each.

Next week the team entertain Pelican’s at home, push back is 3:30 and the need for 3 points is becoming increasingly urgent. Supporters are of course very welcome!

Newmarket Mens’ 2’s v Leadenham. 3-3 Draw

With last weeks win maintaining Newmarkets unbeaten record, hopes where high for another good result against unknown quantity Leadenham. Newmarket started poorly however and where soon under pressure from a skillful and hardworking Leadenham. With another makeshift back line of Mark Prentice, Darren Jenkins, skipper Pete Boyle making a second start at centre back and newcomer Jason Lynch, Newmarket initially struggled to contain a rampaging opposition and it was Leadenham who scored first. This is becoming normal for Newmarket this season however, and going behind no longer fazes them. They attacked hard with some good movement through the middle from Adam Gallop and Harry Bell supported on the wings by Peter Reed and James Atkinson. This hard work was rewarded by a penalty corner being given which a resurgent Lee Blades coolly slotted home to make the score 1-1.
Leadenham responded again however, and continued to put Newmarket under pressure and again the defence stood firm until a mistake by the normally reliable Jon-Luke Pegram in goal allowed Leadenham to take the lead again.
Newmarket responded in their normal way, by counter attacking again but where held at bay until the half time whistle to keep the score 2-1.
At a half time team talk by Boyle, with se valuable input by club coach Colin Seakins, Newmarket came out a different side. After some great work by the midfield and some great runs by Blades and strike partner Mark Pears, Newmarket where awarded another penalty corner. This time the ball was cleverly worked to Pears who emphatically drilled the ball home to even up the score.
Again Leadenham weren’t to be subdued and they attacked strongly and the experience and hard work of Prentice, Boyle and Jenkins was put to the test and they held firm until a speculative ball was punched into the Newmarket area and was deflected into the net by what looked like a back of the stick to make the score 3-2.
Newmarkets resolve was still strong however, and they again ce back at Leadenham and again won a short corner. Up steps that man Blades again, and the again the ball nestled in the back of the net. Newmarket found a new energy after this and pushed for a win, but just as they where taking the upper hand, Harry Bell was sent to the naughty corner for dissent and reduced the Newmarket manpower down to 10 men. Leadenham sought to exploit the advantage but where held by Newmarket digging in and defending superbly.
After Bell was allowed back on Newmarket surged forward looking for a win and very nearly got their rewards, but the final whistle came just 10 minutes too soon and the game ended 3-3, with Newmarket disappointed they didn’t make more of their chances to take the 3 points.

Newmarket Ladies 1’s v Cambridge City 3’s. 3-2 win to Newmarket
After last week’s uninspired performance the ladies first team squad got tough and fought for all 3 points against Cambridge City to take them to top of the league with 2 points clear and a game in hand.

With renewed focus Newmarket set about the task of maintaining possession and making the most of goal chances. Cambridge City were strong in midfield and able to weave their way to the Newmarket goal skilfully.

For a while it looked as if the game would stay in deadlock, however Claire McDonnell had other ideas after she carried out her trademark solo drive to the centre of the D and placed the ball nicely into the bottom left corner.

Undeterred City continued to push forward and they too were able to convert after an overload in the D unsighting defenders and keeper.

The pressure continued after half time on the Town goal but the team looked calm and collected as they delivered passes well up the field. Sterling work from Lydia Evans, Beth Wombwell and Player of the Match April Atkinson ensured Newmarket maintained forward momentum. A fine run from Abbi Pass saw Gail Parkins collect the ball, after dropping a defender she pelted a shot at the top of the D, the keeper was able to get a foot to it however Di Thomas was within reaching distance and slammed the ball home to give Newmarket the lead.

Growing in confidence and looking full of running still Newmarket were working well as a team ushered on by Captain Jazz Wombwell. Superb movement by Dona Keates created Town’s third goal. She drove the ball forward and passed to the top of D. Beth Wombwell got a touch forward and Thomas unleashed a sneaky underarm push to get a brace which gave Newmarket a bit more breathing space.

Town were fortunate to notch another as Cambridge City were not in the mood to be beaten and sailed goalwards where a waiting forward caught the ball well and converted. In fact City looked as though they were going to take a share of the points as they finished stronger of the two teams but they were thwarted on the final move of the match as Jade Atkinson in the Newmarket goal stood strong to deny a short corner chance.

The win takes Newmarket to the top of the table with 3 games before the Christmas break. Next week the team face fifth place Huntingdon away.

Ladies 2’s – Newmarket Hockey

Saturday 9th November 2013

Newmarket 2’s put up a sterling fight against the Cambridge Nomad’s away at Coldhams Common.  The teams were very evenly matched with Newmarket playing more as a team than Nomads.  Nomads were the first to score in the 1st half off an awkward short corner attack.  Newmarket fought back and had most of the play in the 2nd half and were rewarded by a goal from Denise Wagner, the newcomer to the club.  Two short corners followed but Newmarket were unable to convert them and the final score line was 1-1.

Ladies 3’s take on St Neots 3’s – Result loss 0-3

Another tough game for the ladies 3’s, which started with a mental blow, when the ball went off the back-line 3 minutes into the game, and unseen by the umpires was played back in by St-Neots and converted to a goal.  Newmarket tried to pick up their spirits after this, but there spirits were dampered.

Half time saw the girls make a concerted effort to pick up their spirits.  A slight lapse in man marking half way through the second half saw St Neots get their front lady the ball, which she just managed to send home.  Once again Newmarket’s lack of concentration in the final few minutes of the game, saw St Neots score in the final minute of the 2nd half to finish 3 goals up.

Phoebe Peacock was voted man of the match, her second this season for another stirling performance at the back line.  Her consistent play, and inability to become flustered while marking and tackling players more than 3 times her age is just the stuff that Newmarket are looking for.  Other players who just missed the man of the match gong were Harriett Briggs for her solid mid-field performance, passing the ball and connecting up play, and goalie Jade Atkinson, without whom the score difference would have been far greater.  Jade stopped several credible shots on goal.

Captain Mel Podd was pleased with the young teams outing, and can see the growth and improvement that the training and games are making to the team.  Playing teams with older more experienced players is always going to be a challenge, but one that the girls are doing their best to meet.