L2’s Struggle With City & M2’s Shine

14th December 2013

Ladies 2’s v Cambridge City 3

The cool winds of defeat blew again over the team today. After a 2 week break the team struggled to get into the game to start with, dropping 2 goals to City early on. After getting back into it, a mistake at a short corner allowed another past and by half time we were 4-0 down. The 2nd half Town played much better and Abbi Pass scored a great goal from a short corner taking Town to 4-1. Unfortunately, this was short lived and City managed to break and score twice again before the final whistle leaving the final store at 6-1.

Newmarket 2 7-1 City of Peterborough 8

With this the last game before the Christmas break and the first game for two weeks since thrashing St Ives, Newmarket welcomed the visit of Peterborough in the start of the return fixtures. Newmarket knew they would probably face a much changed Peterborough side even after beating them 5-4 away in the first game of the season, they later learned that Peterborough fielded ineligible players giving Newmarket a 5-0 win. The home side were without their influential skipper Pete Boyle, so that left the armband to vice captain Darren Jenkins who showed great leadership from the off and who stopped a couple of early Peterborough attacks, which he continued throughout the match. It took a few minutes for Newmarket to find their rythem but when they did they dominated the whole game with a great whole team performance. Peterborough never really looked in the game and at times it looked like men vs boys. The Defence of Marc Prentice, Darren Jenkins, Adrian Atkinson and Jason Lynch with Seth Bailey in goal stood firm and this is where the start of many attacks came from. But the first goal was to come from the midfield with a pass like a knife through butter from midfielder Ben Gottfredsen to the returning striker Matthew Holden who cooly slotted home, 1-0 Newmarket. The rest of the midfield of Jordan Walker, Peter Reed & James Atkinson caused the Peterborough defence many problems, but it was striker Rob Green who got the second with a shot that was deflected in off a defender, 2-0. The third, was much like the first, again coming from the combination of Gottfredsen and Holden, 3-0 at half time. The second half was much like the first but it was Peterborough who scored against the run of play, with credit to their striker who scored with a one touch deflected finish into the roof of the net, if he had 10 attempts at it, he’d of only scored it the once. Although whatever team Newmarket field, it is always a strong one, there were key players missing leaving the only player on the bench, youngster Louis Hrebeniak, who when he got his chance showed great potential. It was then down to Newmarket to respond which they did when Green set up Holden for the forth. The fifth came when a free hit was won at the top of the D, which Gottfredsen took a self pass from, rode passed the defence with only the keeper to beat & slotted home, 5-1. With Newmarket coming close from 3 previous short corners, it was again Gottfredsen to Holden from the short that Holden drilled home, 6-1. The seventh and last goal of the game was scored by Green, after a great burst of pace from Prentice who beat 2 players before assiting Green, 7-1 Newmarket. The game ended this way with the man of the match award being shared by Jenkins & Holden, dick of the day was a clear winner by James Atkinson after missing from 2 inches out after a shot deflected off the post. Before the game Newmarket sat in 3rd place in the league. However with the win, and with 2nd Spalding only drawing at home to 4th place Wisbech, Newmarket move above Spalding into 2nd place. With this being a great way to go into the Christmas break, Newmarket will hope to keep this momentum going in 2014 to keep their promotion hopes alive.