M2’s Add Another League Win

Newmarket Ladies 1’s v Bury St Edmunds Ladies 2’s – 1-1 Draw.

Newmarket Ladies 1st team were left feeling they missed out on a couple of points after drawing with Bury 2’s this weekend as their opposition’s experienced defense and keeper kept Town from scoring further despite multiple chances.

It was clear from the off that both teams were evenly matches with Newmarket having slightly more pace, but Bury potentially had the edge with the skills.

The home side took the push back and made their intentions known by moving forward from the first stroke.

Immediately Newmarket looked strong and were pushing for a goal and Bury were not able to get the ball too close to their attacking D.

April Atkinson showed superb strength on the right and was able to release to her wide players supported by Tania Fisher.

Gail Parkins drove the ball hard from the back and Captain Faye Andreou used exemplary control and shielding of the ball to give Claire McDonnell the chance to receive further up the pitch. Town pretty much had a full strength side for the first time this season and utilized their substitutions to the max keeping the pace up.

Abbi Pass looked confident on the left wing and worked well with Calli Cannon. Denise Wagner too was in control in midfield and fought for every ball.

With both teams failing to get off the mark in the first half, Bury were first to register after half time – being awarded a short corner, their striker at the top slammed the ball in to goal.

This renewed the visitor’s passion and upped their work rate-the game starting to look at little scrappy however.

Newmarket were finally rewarded for their persistence-Claire McDonnell who had got to the match straight from a flight back from New York intercepted in the D and brushed the ball home.

Newmarket should have put the game to bed – both Di Thomas and Cannon having chances one on one with the Keeper. The furthest back for Bury coming out early and diving to meet both players before they could move the ball on-lessons learned by both forwards.

Vicky Sievewright came incredibly close to taking the lead for Town after a cross from McDonnell but the ball skipped just wide.

Bury nearly took all the spoils after their goal scorer nearly hit the target again in open play but Keeper Jade Atkinson stood her ground and read the shot-punching the ball away earning herself player of the match and confirming it was definitely a good day for both Keepers.

The draw takes Newmarket to mid table and they have set their sights firmly on climbing higher.

Another victory for NHC Ladies 2’s V Cambridge City 5

After last weeks record breaking game the team went out with a positive vibe and it didn’t take long (1 minute 47 seconds) before Hannah Kelly found the back of the goal after a powerful cross from Tracy Cockerill.

The team continued to work well together with linked play between players to prevent City from getting the ball, some great play between Cassie Edgar –Ayms and Rebecca Bunning down the middle allowed several shots on goal only to be save by the goal keeper who was having a really good game much to the annoyance for the forwards.

Newmarket were getting frustrated by the lack of goals got awarded a short corner, Tracy Cockerill injected the ball with perfection to Lydia Evans at the top of the D who smashed it past the keeper to make it 0-2.

The team went on to be awarded a long corner to see Mel Podd sweep the ball into the D to be picked up by Hannah Kelly who tapped it over the line to make it 0-3 at half time.

City came out after half time with conviction to get a goal but failing to get the ball out of their own half made it a very quiet game for Goal Keeper Sue Bullimore who only touched the ball once in the whole game.

The team being pushed forward from the back 4 – Mel Podd, Rebecca Bunning, Clodie Rolph and Holly Woods saw the ball come down the left wing to Tracy Cockerill who found Holly Woods in the D to slap the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the goal

The second half was nearly over but Newmarket were determined to increase the score line, some lovely play between Anna Sambrook and Stephanie Anderson saw the 5th goal scored by Stephanie – her first for the club.

Final Score was 0-5, Player of the match was awarded to Rebecca Bunning and Nelly to Anna Sambrook


Newmarket Ladies 3’s v Wisbech Ladies 3’s 0-3.

The Newmarket 3’s faced Wisbech this week. Throughout the game we were all fairly hesitant about approaching the opposition for tackles as they were quite heavy handed, leaving Jane Dryland in a mess during the first half after a lifted ball hit her face. Although it was her glasses and not being able to play on she was worried about, not the cuts!

Claire Spiers had her first true run of her place in goal. Although we conceded three goals, they were scrappy and panicked and would of challenged any goalkeeper let alone our newbie! She made some amazing saves and held the team together.

Georgia Atherton, Rachel Pegg, Janie Harrington /Jane Dryland and Rebecca Barnes were defending. Helen Hansgate, Sophie Bell, Jess Logan, Bronnie King and Hannah Fox held midfield and Charlotte Abersteen, Lydia Wilmott, Brooke Le Marie and Bea Jones were pushed forward.

We all held a strong game against the Wisbech team, showing off our skills and obtaining most of the game’s possession, unluckily allowing the opposition enough time to break through our mid and defence.

Man of the match was joint three with Helen Hansgate, Hannah Fox and Jane Dryland. Teddy went to Rachel Pegg for getting a green card. An unfortunate result but a game to learn from. Well done NHC 3’s!


Lowestoft Railway 4 – 5 Newmarket Mens 1’s

Goalscorers – Will Wilson x 2, Ed Griffiths, James Atkinson, Josh Dawson.

Newmarket sponsored by Mungo Marine completed their Challenge Anika style journey to the Norfolk Coast Justin time for the start of this division 3NE game. The team owe much to Jordan Newnes diligent research of the opposition’s kit for highlighting the need to the away strip, hopefully something management will learn from.

The squad was stretched with Harry Bell unavailable because as he put it “I believes in a thing called love”, James Wrinch out as he listens to the “rhythm of his heart” & hip and Darren Jenkins on a “one way ticket to hell and back” while he recuperates from a knee injury.

The pitch had recently been maintained and looked like a back a soldier may have asked for “permission to land” on some 69 years ago. Newmarket knew they have to make sure with every pass as they settled into what was going to be a slow pitch.

Lowestoft starting brightly running the ball with purpose from midfield, but Newmarket took the lead with a swift passing movement down the left flank, culminating with Ed Griffiths forcing the ball home. Lowestoft equalised almost immediately.

The game was very end of end, Newmarket won a succession of penalty corners, a strike from Wilson was stopped on the line by a foot, Wilson converted the resultant penalty stroke.

Ed Griffiths then spent some time in the corner for reacting badly to a very strong Lowestoft challenge, unfortunately the original offence wasn’t penalised. Lowestoft pegged another back, the superb if not a little vocal Worrall was blocked whilst trying to defend a penalty corner and Lowestoft forced the ball home to make it 2-2.

Newmarket went on the attack again, the industrious Mike Skelton and Josh Dawson setting up many attacks, Ben Gottfredsen and Chris Leggett worked hard on the flanks while Matt Holden and James Atkinson ran the channels up top. Another team goal put Newmarket back in front Atkinson reacting first to force home a rebound.

The whistle went for half time, the second half was a bad tempered affair in which the umpires struggled to control the game, Lowestoft really attacked at the second half and equalised very early, a ball was fired into the D which struck a foot, the umpire played goal advantage and although McCourt in goal blocked the first effort Lowestoft we fastest to the rebound.

Newmarket worked hard to try and maintain position, but with Lowestoft pushing on a leaving gaps at the back the long ball was often too tempting. When Newmarket did keep possession they cut Lowestoft apart at will, Dawson got the teams his fourth, surprisingly first of the season breaking into the D, his shot was deflected over the keeper and into the net. Wilson scored the first soon after, the team worked the ball to him at the top of the D and he fired a shot just inside the right hand post.

There was still time for the Lowestoft centre back to deflect a couple of lobs round the post with his head, unfortunately the umpires didn’t feel either occasion warranted a flick or card, despite the players appearing to move his head towards the ball.

With a few minutes left Lowestoft pulled one back, but Newmarket held on. As Darkness fell the game drew to a conclusion, the team headed back for some good teas and almost friendly hospitality, in fact they were almost “growing on me”.


Newmarket 2nd XI 5 Pelicans 3rd XI 0

Boasting 2 good umpires, a clean sheet and a skipper who still fits in 34 inch trousers the 2’s had everything the 1’s didn’t this weekend.

With it being Halloween it was fitting that Alex “AA” Andreou played a starring role. Known affectionately as “Casper” there was nothing friendly about the robust approach he took to bossing the midfield as he ghosted past his man marker time and time again.

Coming off the back of 3 consecutive wins confidence was high despite the absence of Matt Holden and James McTaggart. With Will Hoosegood missing push back Town started Chris Evans in the hole and Jonny Bunker playing high. This new look front two clicked from the off, with Bunker showing an almost telepathic understanding of the neat flicks and deflections which are Evans’ trademark.

It wasn’t long before Town took the lead. Young Charlie Wright has been a revelation on the right flank this season and opened his senior account with a fine strike from a tight angle.

The second was a bizarre own goal with the ball going in off the keeper’s kickers.

Peter Reed weighed in with a 3rd before half time finishing off another fine move involving Bunker, Evans and Wright.

The 4th was scored by Hoosegood who further extended his lead at the top of the scorers chart before a goal mouth scramble saw the rout completed. The writer didn’t spot who got the final touch but it could have been Hoosegood, Wright, Evans, Reed, Wood, Harrington, Benedikz, Atkinson or Bunker.

In what was undoubtedly the best performance of the season for Drew Wood’s side two players deserve particular praise. Big John Benedikz was faultless at centre back and was my man of the match while Bunker ran and ran all game helping out the midfield and doing the ugly stuff few youngsters seem to have an appetite for these days.