L3 Finish With A Win & Juniors Celebrate

Newmarket Ladies 3 vs St Neots Ladies 3 HT: 1-0 FT: 1-0 Scorer: Georgia Atherton

When these two teams clashed earlier in the season, St Neots ran out comfortable winners, so this would be a good test to see how far the ladies have come on this season.

Newmarket arrived at the pitch an hour before push back and were well drilled and warmed up by the time the game started. This showed as Newmarket started strongly, dominating possession and finding particular success down the wings through Jones, Barnes and Hogg. Missing regular centre mid Hansgate, Bronnie King stepped into the role and looked like she had been playing there all season. Alongside Willmott and Bell she dominated the midfield battles feeding the ball wide and forward for the attackers. It was no surprise when the opening goal came that it was for Newmarket. A Saints attack was smothered in midfield and the ball played out to Jones, who strode confidently up the wing before crossing the ball perfectly onto the end of Georgia “The Goal Machine” Atherton’s stick, who slammed the ball high into the net. 1v0.
Newmarket had not allowed St Neots to play up to this point, but amongst their ranks they possessed a good number of experienced players and these slowly wrestled back some control. The back line of Spiers, Pegg, Harrington, Peacock, Fox whilst under pressure looked comfortable, however on several occasions Newmarket found themselves caught up the field as Saints counter-attacked. The worst of these left 3 St Neots players baring down on keeper Spiers’ goal. With the crowds fearing the worst a single Newmarket player sprinted back like a cheetah, mauling the ball carrier and coming away with the ball to set up another Newmarket attack, that player was Janie Harrington. Harrington went on to produce several other crucial tackles to keep out Saints on her way to picking up her well deserved man of match award.
At the final whistle Newmarket had won 1v0 against a team who had comfortably beaten them earlier in the season. The Ladies 3s should take this as a sign of how far they have come on over the course of the season. Under the guidance of coach Colin Seakins, Captain Vicky Benedikz (who has not missed a game despite being injured since October) and Vice Captain Pegg, a real spirit has been developed, individual skills have been honed and each player plays their hardest for the team.

Man of the Match: Janie Harrington: Outstanding in defense. (Please note I have kept my word not to mention hangovers or dancing on bars…..)

Teddy: Rachael Pegg: Not content with captaining the winning side, Rachael decided that instead of heading straight to the pub, she would lead the Newmarket convoy on a sightseeing tour of St Neots and the surrounding villages, still managing to find time for a quick sprint down the A1 (lovely). Now some responsibility must fall on her navigator, but having been given the directions on paper and waved them in front of people, the teddy vote was secured.
Claire Spears, Rachael Pegg, Janie Harrington, Hannah Fox, Phoebe Peacock, Rachel Hogg, Bea Jones, Rebecca Barnes, Bronnie King, Lydia Willmott, Sophie Bell, Georgia Atherton, Charlotte Abbersteen, Emily Fairweather.

Yarmouth L1’s v Newmarket L1’s: 2-0 to Yarmouth

The final match for the ladies first team was one to cause little expectation due to missing a handful of regular players including Jade Atkinson in goal-Beth Wombwell gallantly stepped in to make an impressive debut at that position.

Never the less Town wanted to get a final 3 points to solidify their place in Div 2NE.

In fact Newmarket looked the stronger team throughout the match and were blocking well in defence through Loren Davenport but finding it tricky to link the midfield to the forwards. Di Thomas and Kerry Alderson were combining well in the first half with one touch play up the right of field. Calli Cannon and Anna Sambrook too was making well timed runs and switching the ball to Vicky Sievewright who owned the left flank. Donna Keates-Town’s high player used her pace and awareness to get shots goalwards.

April Atkinson had a storming game – playing her last for Newmarket before taking her University place in St Andrews in September-she will be very missed by her team.

The first half the deadlock was broken by a smashing short corner shot that was unstoppable from Yarmouth. In the second; a well worked move gave Yarmouth the space to get a shot inside the right post taking it to 2-0.

Gail Parkins wore the Captain’s armband in the absence of regular skipper Faye Andreou-she did a fine job at commanding the team also working with first team newcomer Lou Baker and reliable defender Zoe Bailey.

The final whistle was a short corner-Wombwell read it well and kicked it away to finish of a positive season for the ladies 1’s who cemented their place in a league they were newly promoted to. A great deal of thanks to coach Nic Thorpe.

Newmarket 2’s 11 – 0 Bourne Deeping

Newmarket went into this game knowing that had already secured the promotion they had chased hard all season so this game had no pressure for them to win so with the relaxed feel they soon got into their game that had proved too much for oppositions all season. Newmarket great passing game had Bourne under pressure from the start with this pressure Bourne soon gave away a short corner Cassie Ayms superb strike snuck inside the post out of reach of the goalie. 4 minutes later Ayms shot was saved only for Abbi Pass to calmly deflect it to Olivia Haste who neatly slotted it over the line. Newmarket kept Bourne in their own half most of the game to keep the attacks flowing. Goalie Sue Bullimore’s quick thinking from a ball running through kicked the ball out wide to Hollly Woods to set up a superb move from the back, passed to Becca Bunning to pass out wide to Abbi Pass who run the far line to get a cross in to Olivia Haste to slot in another goal. Quick movement from Stef Howard to realese Tracy Cockerill who danced her way into the D to score. Another good cross from Pass found Cockeril with plenty of space to slot home another. The sixth goal of the first half came from another superb short corner strike again from Ayms.
Newmarket soon found the net again after the start of the second half with Ayms intercepting a 16-yard hit out to score a great solo effort shooting from the edge of the D to score at the far post. Newmarket set pieces from short corners led Mel Podd’s strike from a short corner notched up another goal. Newmarket relentlessly pilled the pressure on to get another short for Ayms to bring her goal tally for season to 31. A long pass into the D found Holly Woods with a 1 on 1 with the goalkeeper slotted the ball between the keeper’s feet to score. The final goal came from a shoot at goal that was deflected onto the stick of Haste who calmly slotted the ball home to bring Newmarket’s tally of 138. Newmarket has achieved a lot this year and is looking forward to the challenge of going up next season. They are joint top goal scorers of the east leagues with 138 goals and only conceding 10 goals in 22 games making them the 3rd lowest conceding team. They have also set new club records with highest goals scored in one game with 20 and most individual player scoring in one game with 8 by Ayms. Captain Sue Bullimore said she was very proud of what they have achieved this year and it has been a fantastic team effort from everyone. Everyone has played their part in what has been a season to remember. Player goes to Olivia Haste who has come so much from the beginning of season and who has become a reliable goal scorer. Nelly goes to Sarah Ganiford for missing to open goals but harsh as she is more use to defending a goal than scoring.

Newmarket Men’s 1st XI   4 – 1   Harleston Magpies 3rdXI

With both team unable to be promoted or relegated this game had all the hall marks of an end of season dead rubber, until the first whistle blew.

Magpies had travelled to play hockey who controlled possession and successfully pressed high. On a day that many Englishman were left disappointed that 15 William Wallis’s hadn’t taken to the field at Murrayfield, fortunately we had our own in goal. Celebrating his recent inclusion in the most recent Scotland over 50’s international squad, Martin McCourt must have consumed his own body weight in Weetabix and Readybrek. He was simply unbeatable and at times during the first half kept Newmarket in the game.

As the half wore on and Magpies became disheartened with the Jedi style force field in front of the Newmarket goal, Newmarket started to get a foot hold in the game. With Louis Hrebieniak commanding at left back, marking well and using the ball intelligently, finding Chris Leggett and Michael Skelton who provided a platform for the rest of the team. Skelton duly broke the deadlock surprisingly from the top of the D, collecting a pass from Matthew Holden and dispatching down the middle of the goal. The Harleston keeper felt things just hit McCourt, but his team must have wished McCourt was in their goal!

William Wilson soon doubled the advantage dispatching a penalty corner into the bottom right corner. At half time Newmarket were two goals to the good, a score line that was a little harsh on Magpies.

The second half was a scrappier affair, Johnny Bunker grew into the game, beating his opponent a couple of time on the right flank and showing promise for the future.  Magpies pulled a goal back before the game was marred with a series of interruptions.

Magpies lost a centre forward to a nasty head injury when the ball deflected onto his forehead form his own stick (we wish him a speedy recovery). Magpies then lost a couple of players to the sin bin for decent. Newmarket failed to capitalise on the numerical advantage, as Magpies returned to the full complement stand in skipper Dawson clearly felt that 22 men was too many of the this pitch, the red mist descended and he quite rightly received a red card for retaliating after the whistle.

Now with a player less Newmarket woke up, Skelton brilliant picked a ball in the air on his reverse and played in Holden. The goal shy veteran beat the keeper and with the goal gaping shocked his team mates by firing down the middle of the goal. With minutes left on the clock the game was settled as a contest but Newmarket had time to add a fourth. In a carbon copy of the first Skelton this time intercepted a pass in midfield, played in Holden who beat the keeper and fire home, proving that lightening can sometimes strike twice!

Man of the match was Martin McCourt for a heroic performance, Dick of the Day was Josh Dawson, who will enjoy at least a 30 day ban most of which will be spent like a footballer in Las Vegas and Hawaii!

The last game of the season is at home on Saturday 28thagainst Pelicans 2nd XI, 1pm push back. Supporters are always welcome.

Junior End of Season Celebration Event:

The Newmarket Junior players have worked very hard at Junior Training which is on Sundays at 10:30am at the Leisure Centre Astro and the club wanted to have a celebration of this by inviting Ely Hockey club juniors along for some friendly match play. All tried very hard and played in a fair and skilful way.
Prize winners from this season for Newmarket Juniors were presented at the event:

Best Attendee: U10’s Mellie Benedikz U15’s Ben Atkinson

Most Improved: U10s Hugh Griffiths U15s Henry Frost

Star Player: U10’s Millie Hansgate U15’s Jess Logan

Thank you to Claire McDonnell the Club’s Junior Coordinator for organizing and all the coaches and officials as well as supporters and parents for attending.

Anyone interested in finding out about junior hockey or the club please contact Di Thomas on di_thomas123@yahoo.co.uk 07947 378578.

hockey 177 hockey 168

hockey 167 hockey 164