Week 17 Results – Narrow Loss for M2’s Early Risers

Newmarket Men’s 1s: 1-3 loss vs Harleston Magpies Men’s 3s (Home)

After last week’s loss to IES 2s, Newmarket were looking to improve and go one more against a team who they lost to last time out in the dying seconds.

Newmarket started the game in a much more positive attitude than in previous weeks and were unlucky to be 0-1 down within 15 minutes. Magpies cut through the middle, passed the central defence of Harrington & Newnes and beat McCourt with a well-hit strike. Newmarket’s midfield of Skelton, Leggett and Dawson played some lovely attacking moves which led to a couple of penalty corners, but Town failed to capitalise. The half finished 0-1 to the opposing team with both teams playing a hard, competitive game but the away side getting their nose in front.

The half time team talk was positive and skipper Holden wanted to keep the style of play up as Newmarket were playing well and just needed to find a goal.

The second half started well for Town, but still they failed to find the back of the net and were probably unlucky not to have scored. Newmarket were soon caught in the middle of the park and conceded another goal through some good passing by the opposition. 0-2. Some more attacking play from Bell and McTaggart followed, and even fullback Hrebeniak was making some positive runs down the flank, but Newmarket still couldn’t manage to make a dent in the Magpies net. Some good saves from Newmarket’s keeper and block tackles from Jenkins kept Harleston at bay, but Newmarket were unfortunate to have a penalty corner given against them. Harleston’s veteran centre midfielder placed himself on the top of the ‘D’ and let rip an explosive shot down the throat of McCourt, it just dipped over his legs to hit the back of the goal. 0-3. Newmarket reacted to what they felt was an unjust scoreline, pushed and won a penalty corner from some great running from Dawson and Leggett. Leggett slipped out the ball for Skelton to stop with Wilson again finding Leggett on the back post to get his 3rd goal of the season. 1-3. Newmarket started to look the better of the two teams and were now on the attack but were unable to get back into the game, and even though they had a disallowed goal through Skelton and Holden, they were doing too little, too late. The game finished 1-3.

Town with an influx of players and will look to bounce back from this result as they know they can play good hockey and are at some point going to get a hatful of goals.

MOTM – Jordan Newnes

DOTD – Matt Holden

Next week Newmarket Men’s 1st XI are away at North Norfolk 1s, Town lost the reverse fixture to a solid, organised team.

Newmarket Men’s 2s: 2-3 loss vs I-ES Men’s 3s (Away)
(Andreou, Hosegood)

On Saturday the M2s needed men that rise early in the morning as we had a 10:30 push back. Most were up for it, a few needed a little help from a small blue tablet. But we gathered, loins girded, at the Leisure Centre, the sun breaking through the dawn mist casting long shadows over bacon butties and cups of tea. We knew our trip out to Ipswich to face league leaders IES-3 was going to be no walk in the park, but we also knew that we were the only team to have beaten them this season.
Walking out onto the bouncy blue pitch at Ipswich School Sports Centre is rather like walking out at Lee Valley Hockey Centre but unfortunately without AC/DC blasting out “Thunderstruck.” No music for the players, but as the umpires took to the pitch an instantly recognisable melody drifted out on the breeze, prompting a chorus of “Hi hooooo, hi hooooo” from the travelling fans.
It was soon evident that IES were expecting an easy game and an opportunity to build on their goal difference of 65. But it was never going to be so and their frustration soon began to show. The IES left back in particular started to throw comments around offering a brief lecture on sportsmanship, but when asked to spell it, ‘Drew’ a blank. It was Newmarket that opened the scoring when Hosegood, fresh from country sports, neatly took the ball round the keeper and faced with an empty goal about 1m out, theatrically drew his stick back as if it were 100m out, and as the rest of the team collectively held their breath thinking he was going to fluff it, he calmly slotted the ball home. Recognising that their game plan was now upset, IES upped the anti and started playing some good hockey. Seth Bailey was kept busy in goal earning himself MoM, and as we approached half time he made a save which resulted in a goal mouth scramble where an IES player lifted the ball over Bailey only to be stopped, yet again, by Marc ‘Mungo’ Prentice on the line. Happily there was no injury this time, but having been judged to have used his body to stop the ball, the resultant penalty flick was converted making it 1:1 at the break.
In the second half IES moved up a gear. They had more possession, more shots and more shots on goal. Newmarket fought for everything and also made some great moves to counter attack. Newmarket’s back four were resilient and on more than one occasion made key stops on the goal line to deny IES the lead. Eventually though, IES did take the lead after a nice move into the ‘D’ followed by a shot which looked like it was going wide of the left post, only to be deftly turned in on the reverse stick. The relief among IES players was palpable as was the expectation that lots more goals were to follow.
The friction that had been ‘Drewing’ up in the first half eventually reached boiling point, the IES player totally blame free in the umpires eyes but Drew Wood saw green and DoD later in the Clubhouse. Not wanting to be outdone, the mid-field stalwart that is Alex Andreou also saw green and perhaps the longest 2 minutes in hockey history. Onlookers were not sure if the umpire was playing the role of Sleepy or Dopey (cue music, “hi hooooo, hi hooooo”) but the big hand on his Mickey Mouse watch was clearly missing.
The IES party was now in full swing as they lead 2:1. But Newmarket were not finished and continued to graft. A quick counter attack lead to a penalty corner which was drilled home by Andreou. At 2:2 this game could have gone either way and a point would have been a great result for Newmarket. But a penalty corner in the last 10 minutes was enough to give IES all the points and on balance this was probably a fair result if disappointing for Newmarket.
Next week we face fourth placed Ipswich Cranes at home as the battle to avoid relegation continues now with 6 teams separated by only 4 points.

Newmarket Ladies’ 1s: 1-8 loss vs Cambridge University Ladies’ 2s (Away)
(L. Evans)

Newmarket Ladies’ 2s: 0-7 loss vs Ely City Ladies’ 1s (Away)

Newmarket Ladies’ 3s: 0-10 loss vs Cambridge City Ladies’ 4s (Home)

Above: The Newmarket defence watches on as the City right winger unleashes a fierce drive at keeper Claire Spiers.
Click here to view photographs of the match by Michael Bennett.