Week 7 Results



Men’s 1st Team


Harleston Magpies scored a late winner as they came from behind to snatch a dramatic 3-2 victory at Newmarket on Saturday.

Unable to cope with the pace and power, Harleston were fortunate not to concede inside the first 10 minutes as Ollie Wade fired a low drag flick straight at former Newmarket favourite Chris Routs, now playing in goal for the visitors.

After some quick counter attacking hockey, Newmarket opened the scoring at the far post when Michael Skelton latched onto Rob Green’s low delivery from just outside the D after some good work from Wade. Harleston were level five minutes later through a well worked short corner routine as a young striker neatly slotted past a wrong footed Iain Robinson. Newmarket’s rearguard of Newnes, Wilson, Jenkins, Frost and Podd restricted their opponents to just a few meaningful efforts in the first half but with the game remaining finely poised, Newnes soon made his presence known as he put his body on the line to make a goal line clearance.

Chris Leggett and Matthew Holden linked up well in the opposition area to set up a free running Simon Donald inside the D, to go one on one with the keeper, but he unfortunately skewed his shot off the back line. Just before half-time however, Newmarket again took the lead their pressure had deserved, as a straight strike short corner was deflected onto a defenders foot on the line, resulting in a penalty flick, which was confidentially converted by captain Wilson.

As the second half started, Robinson bailed the home side out on two occasions in quick succession: thwarting a near-post slap hit and tipping a dangerous shot over the bar as the visitors piled the pressure on before the hour. The home side did have chances of their own to put further daylight between them and Harleston, as Skelton squared a ball past the keeper to Green but only for him to spoon his shot wide.

Magpies’s relentless attacking prowess finally told as an unmarked midfielder drove to the top of the D, striking the ball into the ground, with the resulting effort bobbling over an already committed Robinson and levelling the scores once more. Newmarket came within minutes of securing a credible point, but it was Harleston who scored again through another short corner, as the ball was fed to a player waiting at the penalty spot who smashed the ball home into the bottom left corner. 3-2.

Ladies’ 3rd Team

Newmarket’s ladies found themselves under pressure from the start of the game, with much time being spent defending our D. Through the keen skills and diligence displayed via keeper Jess Boyle and defenders Sarah Ganiford, Vicky Benedikz and Janie Harrington, Sudbury were unrewarded for their efforts.
Newmarket broke the scoring early with a trademark cross from Jane Dryland to find Charlotte Abbesteen on the p-spot who deftly slipped the ball around the keeper.
A long corner for market saw Georgia Atherton slip to Captain Mel Podd at left wing, shot hard into the D to find Cha Wombwell with her back at left post and the keeper directly squared up behind her. Cha Wombwell coolie played the ball around to left to find Bea Jones with the mostly open goal who keenly slotted Newmarket’s 2nd.
The second half saw Sudbury working extremely hard to try and claw their way back into the game. Their only sure fire opportunity came as a p-flick was awarded after a foot stopped a goal line headed strike. Converting the penalty took the score late into the game as a 2-1 win for Newmarket
The ladies were very pleased with their outing and happy to take the 3 points. It was a game won through teamwork. Janie “the foot” Harrington picked up man of the match for her stirling defence work, despite some serious foot ailments.
Next week sees the ladies take on Wisbech at home at 1-30pm.