Match Reports 28.09.2019

Newmarket Mens’ 1’s 3 – 0 UEA 2’s

Josh Dawson scored two on his return, after 24 months on the sidelines, as Newmarket beat the University of East Anglia 3-0 at home.

Newmarket made a dream start inside five minutes as a high press from Michael Skelton presented Josh Dawson with the chance to open his account for the season after some quick one-two passing put him through on goal to slot into the bottom left corner. 1-0

UEA tried to mount an immediate revival but two saves in quick succession from keeper James Atkinson kept the away team at bay. Newmarket were quite content pushing forward and defending high up the pitch, thanks to defenders Ben Dykes, Jordan Newnes, Simon Harrington and Will Wilson, but with their narrow advantage encouraging UEA, a second goal was needed.

Ollie Wade delivered just that, late in the first half, as he lost his marker to get on the end of a Louis Hrebeniak ball, to deflect past the away keeper and doubling the hosts lead. 2-0

However, the home side were not far from being stunned on the break when a floated ball towards a UEA striker caught the defence flat-footed, but Dykes raced back and cleared to safety. 

After some fine work from veteran forward Matthew Holden on the right, the experienced forward offloaded to Louis Hrebeniak, whose sweeping cross found Felix Allen at the back post to deflect just wide of the goal.

Newmarket kept pushing and finally got their reward as Alex Andreou, who’d umpired three consecutive games prior to this one, turned provider midway through the second half, holding up the ball on the edge of the D before rolling it into the path of Dawson to slot into the top corner, sealing the victory with his second & Newmarket’s third. 3-0

Late into the second half, the hosts continued to attack, looking to take the visitors by storm but, while their build-up play was excellent, they could not pull an organised UEA back four apart any further. 

Harleston 5s 2-2 Newmarket 2s

In blustery conditions in Harleston, it was a strike of real quality that broke the deadlock after just 10 minutes.

The impressive Harleston striker collected the ball, after a brilliant controlled pass, to curl a trademark strike beyond keeper Seth Bailey. 0-1

But the hosts’ lead lasted all of seven minutes as a well-worked short corner involving Drew Wood and Andy Baker resulted in Peter Terrett setting up captain Ollie Trent for a trademark top corner finish. 1-1

Harleston were denied the chance to restore their lead on the stroke of half-time when Bailey saved superbly from an acrobatic effort.

The umpire played a good advantage after John Benedikz was fouled in the build-up, early in the second half, before Trent set up Terrett for a pinpoint finish at the near post, becoming the first 2s player to score in consecutive league games this season. 2-1

In the final quarter of the game Newmarket defenders stood off the attacker at the top of the D who was then allowed to float a pass into the area. The young home striker then sprinted into space to divert the ball home and earn a draw. 2-2

Newmarket will be disappointed with the draw but a point apiece was a fair reflection of a contest that was open from start to finish.

Newmarket Ladies 2s vs. Saffron Walden

Our first home match of season 2019-20 was against totally unknown entity Saffron Walden 3. Newmarket, again, took some of the first half to settle, giving away a penalty flick and numerous penalty corners to go 2-0 down, whilst play was actively transferring up, down and across the pitch. Newmarket’s goals came from open play, Robyn Henry-Jones carrying the ball deftly down the right flank to baseline, drawing the Walden keeper then tipping the ball to Captain Zoe Bailey, positioned beyond the keeper’s right foot to send the ball to the back board and lift the home team’s spirits with the first. Another penalty flick was awarded as Newmarket’s Man of the Match Tania Fisher (it should be noted that she redeemed herself during the remainder of the match) stopped a lifted shot on goal with her thigh on the goal line. Saffron Walden scored from this flick but Newmarket soon retaliated: Laura Excell pounced on a 16 yd hit that bobbled, carried the ball into the D and attempted a shot, this was saved and was transferred around several defence and attack before Laura trapped it again and sent it goal-ward, Helen Hansgate making sure the ball went over the line for a half time score of 3-2 to the visitors.
Saffron Walden’s young legs ran most of the second half, often feeding their No9’s stick skills and great command of play, Newmarket’s defence were put under pressure but held strong and when final whistle went, Newmarket had held most of recent possession and allowed nor scored any more goals.
Next week’s match is also home 12pm push back v St Ives 3.